Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Feeling strong

Felt good today, despite going to bed a little late last night. For my run, I did intervals: and I had a very interesting learning.

I did a 5-minute warmup at 6.6 and flat on the treadmill, then every two minutes until 20 I increased my speed by .1. My heart rate didn't really spike until 7.0 (and not that high - low 160s). Then for the next 10 minutes, I put the speed back to 6.6 and increased the grade every minute. By about 4 minutes in, my heart rate was in the 170s. I was able to complete the set, but what I found interesting was that the added speed didn't have the effect on my heart rate that the added grade did - and I don't recover as well from grade as speed.

Compared to biking, my heart rate does the same thing: when I'm climbing on the bike, it rises faster than when I'm speeding. However: While running, I prefer speed, and while biking, I prefer grade to high cadence.

All that speaks to the fact that I think I chose the correct half-Ironman course: it's a hilly bike course and a flat run - exactly what I'll like, I think.

Today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: Yogurt, milk in coffee: 140 cals
Workout fuel: Gu, 100 cals
Breakfast: Bagel, ham, cheese, milk in coffee: 445 cals
Lunch: Yogurt with granola, 3 oz chicken: 510 cals
Because I'm bad: Candy, 60 cals
Dinner: Passover Seder, too many random foods in small amounts, but it wasn't too bad, I don't think

Exercise:
Swim 40 minutes
Indoor cycling 60 minutes
Run 30 minutes
Total calories burned: 1000

No comments: