Friday, September 22, 2006

Black Diamond Pre-Race Report

Yeah, there will be a post-race report, but I thought it would be good to write down my goals for tomorrow's race. It's so weird - I feel so calm about it, unlike how I felt about Lake Stevens!

My co-worker Bryan asked me whether this was an A, B, or C race. I hesitated, so he said, "It's a C." But upon reflection, I disagree - this race can't be rated that way.

This race is about SOLID EXECUTION. It's about taking everything I learned this season - and there was a lot! - and putting it all to work for me. Specifically, that means:

Swim: Swim comfortably. No panic. 40-45 minutes (I'm giving myself a break on the time because I've heard the course can be measured long and it's REALLY cold in that water, so I want to be able to have a buffer to keep myself calm).

T1: No dropping things. No forgetting things. Make the right clothing choices for the bike. (I think it's going to be arm warmers and gloves, but I will bring other choices and decide when I'm setting up in the morning.) Under 3 minutes.

Bike: 17-18 mph average; comfortable ride; high cadence (above 90 all the time, and really watch cadence on the big hill.) 3.5 hours would rock.

T2: My T2s have been fine. This one might be longer because I will allow myself to go to the Porta-Potty if I need to. 2 minutes or so.

Run: Run, no walking. Maintain a 10-minute mile pace. Finish the run in under 2:10.

Overall time goal: Around 6:30 - but solid execution is more important than time, which means I'm more concerned with working at the right capacity for the distance and how I feel than the actual time - and yes this means if I do an eight-hour half, but feel like I worked as hard as I could given the distance and the day, I will be okay with that.

I'm excited to go rack my bike! I'm leaving work in 45 minutes. Yay! I'll post tomorrow evening and describe how it was, maybe with pictures - though you probably won't see the blonde hair under my helmet or hat. :-)

3 comments:

Regan said...

Good luck Jessica! You're gonna rule!! :)

Regan

Unknown said...

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW! I will be there at the start to cheer you on - so hey, if you forget anything just gimme a call because we'll be driving up around 7ish.

Wes said...

Rock, rock, rock the haus!