Monday, September 11, 2006

A new Ironman lesson

One of the things I was most looking forward to this morning was reading about Iron Wil's victory at Ironman Wisconsin.

She didn't finish.

I've been reading her blog for months now and I've been consistently impressed with her training, dedication, nutrition, and attitude. I thought about her a lot yesterday, even though I don't really know her at all, and sent little good wishes her way.

Well, stuff happens. She hasn't yet posted her write-up of the race and why she didn't finish, so I don't know exactly why yet. But as I begin my Ironman preparation, it serves as a new caution: I can train and eat and have the best support in the world, but race day, who knows what will happen.

So it just reminds me that this next year needs to be about the year, not the day - the journey, not the destination. Who knows what might derail me.

The fact that she didn't finish doesn't take away from what she accomplished in her year of training. But it's so shocking for her fans. Jessi said to me in email, "Part of me is still wondering if it's not just a bad joke or something, yknow?" And yeah, I do know!

But I'm sure she's going to rise up and and try again next year. I do believe everything happens for a reason (even though we don't always - or even usually - get to know what that reason is). I hope for Iron Wil the lesson is a good one.

So for my training, I rode around Lake Sammamish with Liz this morning - a brisk, fun, chatty ride. I realized I shouldn't be riding today at all, since this week I'm doing a huge ride tomorrow and my normal Wednesday ride, but now I guess I'll change the Wednesday plan to running.

Yesterday was a rest day; we took the kids to the Puyallup fair. Gabriel drove a pedal tractor with 225 lbs of weights in it more than 20 feet. He's so tough! We ate garbage, though, so it's time to get back on track. (I think I write this every Monday - nobody go back and check though, I don't want to know for sure.)

Today's data:
Food:
Pre-workout: 1 Vitatop and milk in coffee, 130 cals
Breakfast: English muffin, ham, cheese, cottage cheese, peach: 390 cals

Exercise:
Bike ride, 1.5 hours, 600 calories burned

1 comment:

Wes said...

I was sorry to see Wil not finish as well. But that little bit of doubt and fear is what drives us and keeps us honest. Latest word is she couldn't eat or drink after mile 9, so she didn't make the 13.1 cut. Good lessons for all of us.