Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The wrong response to overtraining

I am overtraining again. This is how I know:

-- I'm so tired.
-- My body is sore - especially yesterday after the circuit training class. I can't walk without a weird limp (both legs have really painful hamstrings).
-- I look for excuses to exercise more.

Yes, you read that right - when I overtrain, I create this cycle where I want to overtrain more. I feel guilty about needing and taking rest, so I try to squeeze in an extra workout or two. I try even harder to get an extra workout in if my nutrition is off, because I do sort of feel like if I just exercised more, I could eat whatever I wanted and lose weight. But at least this morning, when I intended to do an extra run, I didn't. Mostly because my running shoes are completely worn down and they make my legs hurt now. Wendy picked up a new pair for me when she was shopping this weekend, though, and I compared the tread on the bottom. My goodness, my existing shoes probably should have been replaced months ago! I can't wait to wear the new ones!

But I digress from my overtraining. Unfortunately, I don't have a plan to fix this. I will run comfortably tomorrow, do my triathlon Friday workout Friday, but low-key (not like last week when I froze, but somewhere in between leisurely and pounding), and do an 18-miler on Saturday (fairly flat, easy route). Sunday I really will rest. And get my hair done. I will post pictures of the blond 'do unless I absolutely hate it, in which case I will dye it back immediately. :-)

Today's data:

Food:
Breakfast #1: Pria bar, milk in coffee: 140 cals
Breakfast #2: Ham and cheese: 150 cals
Snack: Cottage cheese and nectarine: 150 cals
Lunch: Turkey sandwich, 500 cals
Total so far: 940 cals


Exercise:
Cascade bicycle club ride, 1 hour 10 minutes, 550 calories burned (allegedly a "brisk" pace, but it HURT)

3 comments:

Wes said...

Thanks for sharing that. It is a good lesson to learn, especially when you don't learn it on your own. If you stick to a training plan, can you not avoid this? I mean, that's what a realistic plan is for? Is it not? You're hard work is paying dividends for us newbies. Can't wait to see your pics :-) You need to post them first, hate it or not ;-)

Kate said...

Take care :-) I know how you feel, and the extra workouts are not worth it if it means you have to postpone your dreams! Have a great weekend! PS Congratulations on the juggling act- it's inspiring!

Regan said...

You are one of the most resilient and determined athletes I know Jessica - I know you'll figure out this balancing thing! And I can't wait to see you blonde!!! :)