Monday, May 21, 2007

Back to FitDay

So...I've been a very bad girl. And the scale is the proof.

I know there are some mitigating circumstances...okay, that's a horrible excuse. My weight is up like five pounds (and that's from my maximum acceptable weight, not the weight I want to be), and on my body, that's significant and I need to fix it. Not tomorrow, not next week, NOW.

What's so frustrating is that when I swim and bike and run and do yoga, I feel so strong and sometimes even pretty fast! It's like my body doesn't realize it's carrying some extra pounds - it should be less responsive, but my training is helping despite the damage I've been doing.

So, it's time to undo. I'm back to meal-tracking on FitDay and I'm back to daily weighing.

It's a very slippery slope. It would be so easy to be fat again.

Today I managed to stay away from the candy, drink only one cup of coffee, and stay under 1600 calories. That's good.

Tomorrow will be harder: I have a lot of running planned, and it will inevitably make me hungry.

But if I can perform like this with a few extra pounds, I just have to keep in mind how much better I can do without them.

This is part of the problem, though: it's the "good enough" mentality. I can't allow myself to just settle for "good enough" when I know I could do better.

Time to get serious. Wish me luck.

Oh, and in terms of training: I mostly took today off and just did hot yoga. I woke up kind of stiff and sore, especially in my hamstrings, so I thought it best to take it easy. See? I'm not that insane!

4 comments:

wendy said...

total bummer my friend!

It sounds like you're taking control early though. My trainer always says her triathlete's have a hard time dropping below 18-19% body fat, since they have to train for endurance and not high-intensity. It could be similar for you, training for such endurance events, your body feels the need to hang on to a few pounds...I'm certainly no expert, just recalling what I've heard.

Best wishes with training for this week!

Alison said...

I know how you feel -- at 5'1" I swear I can feel every single pound I gain (or lose). Have you ever gotten your body fat tested, though? I'm not saying that all of the extra weight is muscle, but some of it could be. I always thought that at my height I "should" weigh 100-105, but I learned that based on my fat-to-muscle ratio, my ideal training weight is actually somewhere around 110-115 (I'm around 120 now).

Sarah said...

Man, I feel you. I keep telling myself that if I can drop this last 20 lbs, I'll perform even better. We rely on our bodies so much for all of this exercise and activity. Tracking does seem to help me too.

Kate said...

I need to go back to tracking too- I've been trying to knock off the 5 "extra" pounds, then I can concentrate on the 5-10 remaining pounds on top of my ideal weight!

I've been trying a less structured approach, but I think I have to admit that I'm a Calorie Counter!