Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Ouch! Overdid it a bit

You know it's going to be bad when you're already sore before the next day! (Yeah, but I do love it.)

So...yesterday, first day back after a week of little formal exercise, felt good at the time. But today, I'm pretty sore. If I laugh, my obliques and other abdominal muscles hurt. And my triceps - those tricep pushups in hot yoga! - hurt, too.

How do I celebrate my soreness? With 30 minutes of strength training (all muscle groups, plus as much abs as I could stomach, pun definitely intended), an hour and 10 minutes of running the trails with the girls, 45 minutes of hill repeats up the steep hill I wrote about a few weeks ago, and top it off with a bike commute home.

The cool thing about the bike commute, though, was that I averaged 16 mph (which, when you factor in all the streetlights, turns, etc, is pretty darned good) and I passed dozens of cars stuck in traffic. Yay wide shoulders! But boo Bellevue - it sucks. There's no reasonable way to get from my office to the roads with good bike lanes except for using the sidewalk, which I'm fairly opposed to.

The hill repeats were super-fun, too, because it was sunny and warm and my heart rate never exceeded 176 - and even that was only at the very end. I did four repeats, then back up the other way towards my office. So in all I climbed five significant hills.

We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Maybe a solid night's sleep will fix me and I'll be ready to go again. I think I'm going to repeat the Monday workout, though, of swimming at 5, yoga at 6:30. It makes sense given how I feel right now.

3 comments:

Andy said...

Busy, Busy...

Doubling up and bricking those workouts is going to pay off in the long run, keep it up!

Jeff said...

Yeah, I've got this map on my desk called Bicycling In Bellevue that shows all the "bike routes." Some are pretty laughable, though I manage to get through only fearing for my life once or twice on my commute. Shameful.

Spokane Al said...

After reading your blog for some time now I did not think it was actually possible for you to overdue it. And I am still not convinced.

You should consider my side of the state - miles of little used roads, great scenery, monster hills and often some very brutal headwinds.