Saturday, May 19, 2007

Bikram yoga, painting, and dancing

Today was a surprisingly good day!

After the big exercise week, I really wanted to go to yoga this morning. So I traded hours of my afternoon painting John's new shop for a 90-minute hot yoga class. However, the only class that fit into our day was the more traditional Bikram style (versus power yoga, which is what I usually do).

Well, I've been meaning to try Bikram. Danielle doesn't like it, but she thought maybe its structure would appeal to me.

In Bikram, you move much more slowly through the series of poses. holding them longer and doing multiple sets. It was actually okay for me - I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it. I burned about as many calories in the 90 minute class as I do in the 60 minute power class, so it was still decent exercise.

So then I had to meet John and the kids to paint. I totally didn't want to.

However, once I figured out that I could drive my new car with its rockin' stereo into the shop and hook up my Zune to the stereo and play whatever music I wanted all afternoon, I quit whining about having to paint, started singing, and spent the entire afternoon making the new shop look great. Honestly, it's such a good thing - John started his business a year ago June 1, and already needs a bigger space! I'm incredibly proud of his success.

In the evening, the kids went to John's parents' house, and after all my singing all day, I felt like dancing. So John and I got dressed to go out - I even put on makeup, my like maybe once-every-other-month thing, and we dropped the kids off. We weren't totally sure where to go, but we started with dinner in Issaquah at a brewhouse with a couple of beers, then we headed over to West Seattle to meet up with John's brother for a couple of drinks. Two moijtos later, I was ready to dance.

We went to a club in Pioneer Square that was playing techno, but kind of weird stuff - like, '80s and '90s pop songs remixed in. Some of it was cool, some of it kind of freaked us out. We didn't really feel like we were the oldest people in the club, but I'm sorry: if I danced to it in high school, I just can't dance to it now.

We continued drinking - vodka and Red Bull now - and had enough to really let loose on the dance floor. Eventually, though, I turn into a pumpkin, and since I was going to lead a Cascade Bicycle Club ride the next day, we needed to get home.

And I'm left with one question: do the calories I burned dancing equal the calories I consumed from alcohol? Please tell me yes!

But either way, it doesn't matter - it was just so much fun, and I think we're going to have to do it again. I'm 32. I'm not dead. :-)

No comments: