Wednesday, May 16, 2007

No, I don't need a loaner car

I really needed to swim and run this morning. And I really did not need to bike - I'll be biking tomorrow, Friday, and Sunday and will be way over on bike hours for the week.

And I had to drop my car off (yup, the new one) at the dealership for a little bit of work they promised to do.

So, what did I do? I packed like 17 bags of clothes, for everything - running, cycling, swimming, and yoga (because I really wanted to do yoga, as much as I needed to swim and run) and went to bed early. I got up at 4:20, dressed in my swim stuff, and drove to my office. I dropped my bike and bags of bike clothes and work clothes there, then hit the pool at the gym.

I just did a short set of drills - 1500 yards in 30 minutes - then headed out to yoga. Yoga was really fun - the Wednesday instructor is just amazing. Then I had to drive back south to drop off the car, right after peeling off my sweaty yoga clothes, adding them to the wet swimsuit, and donning running gear.

The dealership was like, "Can we get you a loaner car?" and I was like, "No way! I'm going to run to work!" They said, "No, really, we'll pay for it, we have no problem getting you a car." So I was like, "Yeah, I get that. I am going to run to work today! And I'll bike home if my car isn't ready."

So they're like, "But how far is it?" I said, "I think it's about six miles." Their jaws dropped.

I rolled my eyes. I can run six miles in my sleep, I think. Once I convinced them I really didn't want a car, I took off.

Running through a downtown area of a city kind of sucks during commute times, but once I got out of downtown and into neighborhoods, it was a great run. I chose a hilly route and pushed hard to the top of each hill, then coasted down. And just about an hour later, I showed up in my office - happier than usual, too!

Unfortunately, I can't bike home because I have to pick up the kids. But I'll bike to get a car from John, and I'll bike home tomorrow, too, when I don't have to get the kids.

Man, I love being fit.

6 comments:

Wes said...

Show off ;-)

wendy said...

Hey Jessica,

I found your site from Wes, via Sarah, and I have to tell you that you are a ROCK STAR!

I'm totally inspired by your blog. You're up in my neck of the woods (virtually speaking), I'm more on the South end. I can't even imagine riding in traffic up in your area! Those people are crazy! So is the commute though!

I am looking forward to hearing your journey to Canada, totally inspiring for a non-athlete like myself. One day...

Anonymous said...

I am unclear in the packing of 17 bags of clothes....

Jessica said...

That was an exaggeration. I needed a bag for my swim stuff to bring to the gym, a bag for my yoga stuff, a bag for my bike stuff to leave at work, a bag for my work clothes, and a bag with my shower/do my hair stuff. Plus my purse.

Anonymous said...

Do you have showers at work that you can use post-workout? I've thought about bike commuting to work but I'd definitely need a shower once I got there or else I'd be scaring away clients! lol

Jessica said...

I do - there are showers (and towels!) in my building, and it's right down the hall from me. I keep shampoo, conditioner, even a hair dryer in my office so I can totally shower and get dressed here without anyone knowing. But I'm also a low-maintenance girl, so it's pretty easy anyway.