Monday, May 07, 2007

A perfect morning

So I learned something cool this morning: When you get used to 3 or 4 hours of sleep, getting a full 6 feels amazing! I pretty much jumped out of bed at 4:30 ready to go!

I know I had said I was going to bike-commute to work, but later in the day I decided I was really missing hot yoga and it would probably be good to swim, too. So I hit the pool at 5 a.m., swam 2000 yards, then headed over to yoga.

There was a new instructor at the yoga class, so it was kind of hard to get into the flow. But I burned a ton of calories - I think I'm dehydrated (because I've been drinking a ton of water and not really having to go to the potty).

I did need my bike at work, though, so I asked John to bring it, and I drove over to his shop and swapped my car for my bike (ha ha, there's no gas in my car either!). I had packed my clothes for work in a new backpack, so I headed out on the tri bike.

I decided to take the shortest yet steepest way to work, just to see how it would go with both the new bike and a backpack. Last year, when I first rode this hill, it merited its own blog post. But today, it was pretty much nothing. I mean, it was a hill...but it ended really quickly and I never felt like I was going to fall over. SWEET! I'm so much stronger on my bike now than I was last year.

At lunchtime, I led the Cascade Bike Club ride. Only one rider showed up, and I knew he could ride harder than the advertised pace (he's stronger than me), so I just rode my route and let him come along. It is a gorgeous, sunny day - and I put in lots of hills (ascents and descents, good rewards). It was a taste of summer!

I'm still feeling pretty darn fabulous. Work is actually kind of fun, too! See, routine isn't that bad!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jess! Are you in town this weekend? Jill is leading a ride on Saturday. It leaves ridiculously early (depart from Bridle Trails at 6 a.m.) but I thought that might work well for you, 'cause I know you're a busy lady!

I hope you can make it. At the very least, I will most likely be wildly hungover, which should provide some entertainment for you. :)

Jessi

Wes said...

Way to grind that hill beneath your wheels, Jess! You ARE so much stronger than last year, and not just the bike!! Woo hoo!!