Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hangin' with the big boyz

The last two weeks, I've weenied out of my Wednesday intense bike ride.

I forgot what my excuses were - oh wait, I remember. Two weeks ago I overdid Monday and Tuesday so was too sore on Wednesday, and last week was a weird day because I had to drop off my car at the dealership and just got busy at work. But it's all a bunch of excuses, anyway.

And this week, since I skipped the Monday ride I'm supposed to lead, leaving the other leader to do it, I figured I really had to show up.

My commute this morning was a good test: I rode in and instead of doing the longer, gentler hill I went for the puke fest that is Kamber Road. (Okay, so if you look at these links, the longer, gentler one looks harder. Well, it's NOT. Kamber reduces me below 5 mph; on the other even in the steepest parts I can do 7 or 8 mph.)

But even Kamber didn't kill me. In fact, it was surprising okay. I can't use the word "easy," because I doubt it will ever be, but it was fine. I'd do it daily. Which is different from last year, when I said once I'd done it, I would never do it again. (And that was on the road bike!)

So anyway, I bike-commuted 15 miles to work, and since it went well, decided I had no reason not to meet the guys for the "strenuous" lunchtime ride - average pace on the flats = 18 to 21 mph.

We chose a hilly route, as always, but I was surprised to find myself hanging quite comfortably with the guys on all the flats and downhills. (And I definitely noticed a difference riding the tri bike on rollers: I keep my speed so much better so I barely have to do anything to sail up the next part!)

The uphill was a different story. I wasn't far behind, but I was definitely behind. However, I took no rest at the top of each hill.

All of it felt okay - My legs didn't feel sore or tired. I was just annoyed that I was behind. I asked Albert, the ride leader, why. His theory was that I just don't have the power of the bigger, more muscular guys - but on the flats, I also don't have the resistance. I guess that makes sense.

It was tough, though, not to give up on the big climbs. There are so many excuses: I'm a woman, I'm smaller, they're better. But it doesn't have to be that way! And today, I really didn't give up - I pushed to the end and felt good about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brava to you for continuing to do those Wednesday rides - testosterone poisoned tho they've always seemed to me (tho if Albert is towing his ice cream cart ... :).

Jessica said...

Heh. That's not Albert, though - that's someone else (Abed?).

But if you know about the rides, why don't you come out? :-) Or, if you don't want to do strenuous, I lead moderate/brisk on Mondays!

wendy said...

Good Job, Jessica!

What a great feeling - you rock!