Thursday, May 17, 2007

Inspiration

Today I had a two-hour run on my schedule.

Guess who met me at 5:15 a.m. to take it on? Nancy and Sarah (who PR'ed together in Vancouver in the half marathon two weeks ago).

Oh yeah. I've got really, really good friends. Especially since that length of a run - for the distance they're racing right now - is completely unnecessary. Maybe not even advisable (they're doing some more half marathons).

But they read this, so I shouldn't say that. I'm just so appreciative to have them. We were talking today about inspiration, and they both said I inspired them to get more into running.

I met Nancy in the locker room. I had just run 12 miles on the treadmill, training for my first marathon. She had a locker near mine. I was kind of whining about 12 miles on the treadmill - I had to change treadmills every three miles so I wouldn't kill myself.

Nancy said, "I used to run outside, but I haven't had anyone to run with. You wouldn't want to run at 5:15 a.m., would you?"

Oh yeah I would. Anything to get off that treadmill! And so a running group was born.

I've known Sarah longer than Nancy. We worked together a few years ago, and when I was doing my weight-loss program, she was pregnant and still working out. So she was gaining weight while I was losing. (And all that working out while pregnant put her right back to completely-hot-that-woman-never-had-a-kid state, even though I've seen the little redhead to prove it!)

One day last year, after Sarah was back to pre-baby perfection, she decided to start training with me for triathlons, and we did Lake Sammamish together. Sarah used to think she was a sprinter only. She says I said to her, "I've see you run. You're built for distance!"

And she believed it, and started running with me and Nancy.

Both Nancy and Sarah were runners before I was, but Nancy wasn't into racing and neither woman was into distance. It's cool for me that I helped them discover that joy.

2 comments:

wendy said...

You have to read "Sole Sisters" - it totally inspired me to find people to run with. I wasn't a runner, but I've found a group to run with, and I can't live without them now!

It's really cool you've helped them discover this joy, and think of how many people you inspire by writing your journey online! Thanks, girl!

Wes said...

You are an inspiration to a lot of people. I hope you don't mind me if I keep sending them your way :-)