Friday, July 28, 2006

Another triathlon friday

Today my friend Sarah joined me on my triathlon Friday workout. Except she doesn't have a wetsuit, so she made me swim without too!

It was a much colder morning than it has been - probably in the high 50's , low 60's, but the water was super-warm, so it actually was fine. We didn't swim very long - just about 20 minutes - and it's definitely harder work to swim without a full wetsuit than with. But I'm starting to think about what my plan will be for Danskin, and after today's comfortable swim, I might not wear a wetsuit. It's an entire month from now, and it's typically pretty warm. I'm wondering if the time I would save by not having a wetsuit to take off (or running in a wetsuit, for that matter) would make up for the slightly-slower swim. I wonder how much slower my swim would be? I know from today's subsequent ride and run that my legs aren't really impacted for a sprint-distance by having to work a little harder on the swim.

So then we rode about 20 miles in a little over an hour, I think - I didn't actually check my bike computer. On the way out we rode around 19-20 mph, but on the way back we hit a headwind and slowed to 15-16, I think. That was some work! Then we ran for 15 minutes, and Sarah made me sprint uphill at the end. For the first time in forever, I actually ran out of breath! My heart rate was just 179, so I know there was cardio room to go, but man, it was hard. And felt really good when we were done and stretching.

Okay, so meal-tracking. Yesterday was pretty good, except for the sugar-full green tea mistake. Today I'm determined to be better.

Food:
Pre-workout: VitaTop, milk in coffee: 130 cals
Workout fuel: 1/2 PowerBar trail mix bar, 125 cals
Breakfast: English muffin, ham, cheese, cottage cheese, nectarine: 410 cals
Lunch: Chicken burrito (hungry!): 565 cals
Chocolate craving: 80 cals (there was a new kind of chocolate today! Had to try it, but wanted the regular too.)
Snack: String cheese, 60 cals
Total so far: 1370 cals


Exercise:
20 min swim
1 hour 15 min bike
15 min run
Calories burned: ~ 1000 (pink HR monitor still broken, still need to send to Polar)

1 comment:

Fat Girl said...

Oh my gosh. What an inspiration you are to me. You used to be a fat girl and now you're not! What a coincidence...I AM a fatgirl and I don't want to be anymore.

Check out my blog.

Good luck on your triathlon.

Sincerely,

Victoria