Monday, July 10, 2006

Seafair Half Marathon Report and other random musings from Germany

For future reference: Not my most brilliant idea, running a half-marathon in the morning then getting on an airplane for a 9-hour trip. It's about 7 hours in, and I haven't gotten out of my seat in a while, and I'm not actually sure I can. Every muscle in my legs is sore, from my hip flexors on down to my toes. Seriously. Nothing sounds better than a massage.

Plus, I can't obsessively check the race results site to see when official results are posted. I want to know how I did!

well, I sort of know. I know that I started out feeling pretty good, especially since I'm not sure when the last time I ran long was. Aleks really really wanted to beat two hours, which I knew I could do when I felt good, and I knew I could do on that particular course, since I did it last year. Hmm. Let me talk about last year for a moment.

I had planned in January to run the full marathon at Seafair in July, but I was completely undisciplined in my training...and then in May, I injured my foot and couldn't run at all for a month. So I decide to do the half-marathon at Seafair; I had done exactly one half-marathon before, and it was in Seattle the prior November. However, I did that race with a couple of friends, and we ran 11 to 12 minute miles for the first hour. I dropped them almost by accident - I meant to run ahead, then walk for a while so they could catch up - but I never stopped running. I did that first one in about 2:26, I think, but probably could have done 2:10 or 2:15.
So I didn't have much time to train between June, when I could run again, and July - I basically did a couple of 10+ mile runs and called it good. I planned to run 10 minute miles the entire way and finish in 2:10. I had no dreams of going sub-two.

But you know, when the excitement of the crowd hits you, something happens, and you just go. I realized immediately, by mile 1, that I was going 9 minute miles, and I thought, hey, I'll just do this until I can't anymore, then go back to plan.

By mile 7, I was at 1 hour, 1 minute, I think - nice! I finally catch up to the two-hour pacer, and I stay with that group for a minute, then I realize we're running downhill and I should just stay ahead, just in case. Because now that I've done 7 miles in nine minute miles, I'm doing the math and realizing I could go sub-two. And that sounds so great!

Of course, I was such a newbie that I didn't know about the need to have GU or some kind of carbohydrate drink on the run - I knew you shouldn't do something new if you haven't trained with it, so I only took in water. And by the 10 mile mark, I was really in pain. I pushed through, knowing the 2 hour pacer was so close to me, but I was not psyched. I also was feeling chafing between my legs and below my heart rate monitor - oh, and my HR was in the 170s THE ENTIRE TWO HOURS.

I got to around 12.8 miles or so - I could see the left turn to the finish - and burst into tears. I stopped short. I just couldn't run anymore. The pacer passed me and said, "You have to stay in front of me to beat two hours!" So I started running again, reluctantly.

I crossed the finish line at 1:59 on the gun clock, 1:58 on my watch. The pacer had been ahead of schedule slightly and was jogging in place before the finish. I was completely bonked - I didn't see my family, fortunately they found me, and they had to get me something to eat. All I wanted to do was sit.

So this year was different: I've run more half marathons since then (though some were trained through, with results of 2:05, 2:06 or so) and I did that one in Kirkland in May in 1:57.
We start out at perfect 9 minute miles, and then basically hold the pace throughout. A few miles were slightly faster - at one point we were about 30 seconds ahead of a 9 minute pace - but pretty much we were on target mile for mile. My fuel/water strategy for today was a new test: Jelly Belly Sport Beans, which I love while cycling, one pack at mile 4, 8, and 11. I actually did 4, 7.5, and 10 because of where the water stations were, but it worked. I didn't choke despite having to chew, and I could eat them prior to the water stations and be okay running without carrying water.

I did the Jelly Belly thing instead of GU because Jelly Bellys make me happy. I'm glad it worked - I think for the half-iron I will carry two GUs and two Jelly Belly packets so I can choose whatever I feel like having. It's good to have options.

The course has to be the best-supported course ever - water stations every two miles (slightly less, in fact), great volunteers, and fun music in places along the way. So every time I felt like maybe I was starting to get thirsty, a water station appeared.

Around mile 11, I could no longer happily keep up with Danielle and Aleks. I'd been feeling like I was working harder than I could sustain for a while, but when my heart rate wasn't coming down on a downhill and was hanging out in the low 170s downhill, high 170s flat, low 180s uphill, that says to me that I'm working closer to 5k race pace, not half-marathon. I had really hoped to be able to pick it up a lot for the last 5k, but when I got there, I knew it wasn't happening. I got behind them from a water station, then caught up, then started falling behind again, and I didn't work to pick back up with them. I went internal to fight my own head and finish the race alone.
By this time, I think my shoelaces were too tight, because my feet hurt in a new and exciting way they've never hurt before. I don't think I've run that distance with my Yankz shoelaces on, and I think they need adjusting. I also was feeling some weirdness in my quads - kind of like the muscle was pulling away from the bone. It was weird and made me think about chicken legs, which was a thought requiring immediate banishment.

The last 3/4 to half a mile is uphill. You can look up and see where everyone turns to go to the finish, and from last year I knew the finish was just 1/10 of a mile from the turn. I could see Aleks and Danielle up ahead, maybe just 1/10 of a mile, and to my surprise, I started passing people on the hill. It was actually kind of weird to experience - I didn't feel slow, really, but I didn't feel awesome. I guess that final hill affects everyone. I did have the thought in my head - hey, I'm not crying this year!

After the turn, it's downhill to the finish. I found something left and turned on the speed - but this time, my head was thinking about all of my race finish photos, where I always look twisted around. I wanted my body to look straight up and down and strong, so I tried to focus on great form while getting a nice long stride to the finish. The gun clock read 1:58:something when I crossed the finish line; my watch said 1:58:10, I think. So I'm fairly certain I beat last year's time by a matter of seconds, not even a whole minute. Hey, nothing wrong with consistency!
The post-race stuff deserves mention for anyone considering doing this race. Man, Seafair knows how to put on a great race! The post-race athlete's food was awesome - it included watermelon, sour patch kids, pretzels, bagels, Oreo cookies, and best of all, popsicles and ice cream sandwiches! Yum yum yum. Oh, and the finisher's medals were cool.

So the race was good, I definitely think it should be part of my summer every year. It was also the first running race I've ever repeated! I can say the course was different, but it was fairly similar. The primary difference between this year and last was that this year was warmer by about 10 degrees. I think it started around 60 last year, and it was 70 this year. Of course, where else can you run a summer marathon and not have serious heat or humidity? Yay Seattle!

So now, on to Germany. My plan this week is to do strength training in my hotel room with my bands and body weight, and do short runs (5k or so a couple of times). I'd love to run to see the city, but I'm not sure how safe that is - I'll have to find out. I'm traveling with a woman from work who runs, but she says she only does the treadmill. (I cannot imagine choosing the treadmill over a run with another person in a new city, but whatever.)
---

All that was written on the airplane. Now I'm here in Germany. It's 4 a.m. at home, 1 p.m. here. I'm feeling like I can stay up until 8 or 9 p.m. Berlin time so that I can get on this schedule, so that's good. Let's look up my race results!

Net time: 1:58:07 - one minute behind Danielle, 35 seconds behind Aleks. 9:03 pace. 44 out of 163 in my age group; 192 out of 863 women. Last year I did 1:58:21, so I was 14 seconds faster this year. I probably spent 14 seconds crying last year, so I'm not any faster. But that's okay - last year it was an "A" race, this year it was a decision I made on Tuesday to run. It's all part of a goal I have for the rest of my life: remain in half-marathon running shape forever.

2 comments:

Shannon Morgan said...

Fantastic! Love the play-by-play. If you were in Munich, I'd say definitely go running - it's safe. But I've never been to Berlin, so--?

Jessica said...

People say it's safe, and there's a pretty park right by the hotel. But since I plan to do speed work this week (once my legs recover) I might just do the treadmill. My husband said, "Before you do anything, ask yourself, would John think this was safe?" and since he doesn't think anything is safe, it might just make him happier if I stayed in the hotel.