Saturday, July 01, 2006

A gorgeous ride

Days like today are the answer to "How can you live in Seattle with all that rain?". Man, it is gorgeous - and a perfect morning for a leisurely ride. I felt like one of those girls in the video for Corinne Bailey Rae's "Put your records on" - she and a bunch of girls are cruising along through a park or something under all these trees and with sun peeking through - very romantic looking. Of course, those girls aren't wearing helmets in the video, and I think they might be wearing skirts, and probably traveling at 6 mph, but whatever. I was with them in spirit today. :-)

I didn't pay attention to speed, cadence, or anything except leading my group. For some in the group, I think it was a good workout; for others, including me, a recovery ride. And I discovered that I didn't mind it at all! I couldn't ride like that every time, but I guess it doesn't need to be push-push-push all the time.

I still burned 1100 calories and averaged 13 mph. There were a couple of long, shallow hills and I think two areas that required a granny gear (including one short, out-of-the-saddle climb). And truth be told, I couldn't have gone my normal hard pace today - I still don't feel back to normal. In fact, I feel really bloated and fat and slow - although I checked my weight today (after a big lunch after the ride) and it was 140.2 - which I can't understand at all. I expected to see 147.

I have a new plan for post-70.3 race. I'm going to go on a hard-core strict diet. I will eat perfectly every day - the right balance of fat, carbs, and protein, and the right number of calories - for two months. And I will exercise two hours a day (with appropriate during-exercise fueling, of course). This will be through September, and at the end of September I will weigh 130 or less. And I'm thinking about whether I should weigh 120. That would rock.

Oh, I forgot one thing: It doesn't rain all the time in Seattle. :-)

2 comments:

Shannon Morgan said...

I've always thought the rain thing was something Seattlites put out there so fewer people would move to the city. Doesn't seem to have worked :)

When I was tracking my food intake last year, I was tracking my water, too. Do you track water?

Jessica said...

Yeah, that's probably true too, but since I'm not a native, I feel like I have no right to say that (I came to Seattle from Massachusetts via California).

I don't actually track my water, but I do drink water all day. Every morning I fill a 32-ounce bottle all the way up and I drink it when I'm at my desk at work, plus I bring cups of water to meetings and I drink another cup or two at lunch and then at home in the evening - so *usually* I'm okay there, I think...hot days with long bike rides the exception, apparently.