Monday, July 24, 2006

The day after

My head is still full of the race, but now it's all about the joy of having done it. I keep thinking about the first time I ever heard of a triathlon. My co-worker had her race number from Danskin up on her wall in her office. I was amazed that anyone could swim, bike, and run all in the same day. I also remember how when I was a kid, I wanted to lose weight, so I would go to the 1/4 mile track at the college down the street from my house and try to run a mere quarter-mile! I couldn't do it! I might have done it ONCE in my life before I stepped onto that treadmill in March of 2004 and decided I was going to run. And now I've done this. I'm amazed that this is me!

So how do I feel today? Great. Completely happy with everything, frankly - the way my race went, the way my body feels, the way I feel about myself, and even non-race related things, like the way I feel about my family and my job. It's like a low-key runner's high keeping me calm and peaceful. We'll see how long this lasts. :-)

But seriously, I have slight muscle pain in my quads and glutes. My neck and back could stand for some good stretching. There's an abrasion around my neckline from my tri top, but it doesn't hurt. In fact, what hurts the most is my belly button. The tie from my tri shorts rubbed me raw there, and that actually is painful. But a cute sort of pain - the kind you earn and wear like a badge of honor.

Given how good I feel, one of my co-workers remarked that I didn't race hard enough. That might be true; I definitely know where I have room to improve. But that's why there's next time, right? And there will definitely be a next time. In fact: I am now even more certain that I must do an Ironman. I really wish it could be next year; I'm primed. John is still very much not into the idea, and I understand why...and I know I should just wait until Camille is in kindergarten and both kids have a good schedule going. But I want to now! I'm excited for it now! I'm cocky enough and determined enough to do it now! So...I probably have to wait until 2008. But Coeur d'Alene and Canada are calling out to me...Coeur d'Alene still has spots available, Danielle is going up to Canada to sign up when registration opens, so I know I can go with her...but I need the hubby to buy in first. And I just don't think it's going to happen this year.

2 comments:

Andy said...

I remember when I first thought about doing a triathlon. I was in Memphis for a 10 day meeting, and I had gotten 2-3 different magazines that I do not usually read, one of them being the July issue of Triathlete Mag (the Xterra issue). I was training for the Peachtree Road Race on July 4th, and after coming back from Memphis, I suddenly decided to do a triathlon. I basically completed my first one 9 weeks later.

I think what you have done is great considering where you have come from. Pain, last I heard that was the French word from bread (he he he).

The support thing is huge. It is what has helped me keep going at times when I did not want to go any further. If he really knows how you feel about this, and you can figure out a way to do it with the kids, then all the better. Remember good things come to those who wait... Your time will come sooner than you think.

I am beginning to think about Ironman and 1/2 Ironman sanctioned events, I think I will complete my first Ironman in 2008, so that I have all next year to build up on my distances and such for that type event.

Keep up the good work,

Murtha...

Unknown said...

Hey Jess,
I totally understand your eagerness to do it next year. Maybe if you just keep bugging him he'll finally give in. :)

If you end up waiting until '08, you know you've got a training partner...