Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A tentative start back

I'm not exactly sure how long I should allow myself to "recover" - I know that one of the signs that I'm ready to work out is the desire to work out, and man I wanted to go today when the heat finally broke and I walked outside (to go to the gym), saw a friend coming back to the office from a run, and felt like I needed to run, too. So I decided to do a 5-mile loop that I enjoy. Unfortunately for me, Microsoft is doing construction all around the entrance to a trail that's part of my loop, so I was detoured around and had to stay in the sun longer than I planned. The run took me 57 minutes and was about 5.5 miles long, maybe a little less - but I had to stop at traffic lights, etc. I felt like I was running a 10-minute pace.

I was very aware of my glutes on this run - they're pretty much the only muscle that still feels like I did something on Sunday. But "awareness" isn't quite pain, so I was happy.

I had planned to lift weights too, but I reconsidered that. I'll start back lifting on Thursday. I want to rest and recover and recharge and then just play the rest of the season. :-)

4 comments:

Wes said...

I just read your post about your half-tri. Well done! Your race report is very motivating to us new runners! Take your time getting back on the road. You'll know when you're ready.

:) said...

Sounds like a great plan...

What's causing your flats?

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

I think my flats early in the season were caused by random stuff in the roads and my weenie desire to stay as right as possible. As I've become a better, more confident cyclist and the weather has improved, I've started riding close to the white line (or in the road with traffic)...I got my bike in Jan, have put on 2000+ miles since then. :-)

But I think it's just bad luck, too.