Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I Zoomed today - plus, the joys of hot yoga

I hate when I have two things to write about! Then I don't know how to title my post. Anyway.

So today I had my intense swim on the schedule, but after yesterday's yuckiness - I just don't know why I felt so unhappy - I decided I needed a dose of hot yoga. Since hot yoga is at 6:30 a.m., that prevented me from going to my swim class at 7. So I went to the pool at 5 to swim for 45-50 minutes before hot yoga.

I followed a workout plan they had posted on a wall - it basically called for a long warmup, then a main set of 5 100's of swimming and 5 pulling, faster each time.

So for my swim 100's, I decided to wear my Z2 Zoomer fins. At first I was wearing them for the kick part of my workout, but I kept them on because I liked their feel. I know I swim faster in open water - you can look at any of my race times and see that outside, I swim better than in the pool. I think there are two reasons for this: No turning, and also my wetsuit. I'm not about to be a zillion degrees and wear my wetsuit in the pool, so I was thinking the fins would give me the little extra speed that I get from wearing a full wetsuit outside.

Plus, I wanted the speed because I have been feeling slightly bad about my (lack of) speed. I mean, there is a cutoff for the Ironman swim - and I have to know I can make it! So it just made sense to use a device that might simulate my real speed in open water (I'll test that in May when I start swimming outdoors).

Okay, I'm totally justifying. But only because my 100 times rocked! Here they are:

1: 1:44
2: 1:39
3: 1:33
4: 1:30
5: 1:30

So, I did what the directions said - get faster each time - except for the last time. And that was because that was the point at which I started to panic. I broke form, started splashing around, only breathed on one side, and pretty much freaked out. It's happened before when I race; I need to learn to control that. But I'm pretty happy it took until the last half of the last length of the last 100 to make it happen.

I didn't time my pulls, because there were too many numbers to keep straight in my head. But I did them fast. And without the fins.

Then I got to treat myself to hot yoga. I hadn't taken a class with this instructor before, and like the others that I do know, she was amazing. I liked how her class differed from the others' classes; it wasn't hugely dissimilar, but different enough that I got to do different poses in different orders, and it felt amazing. I was able to stay with the entire class, although my Wheel pose wasn't great today. I did manage to do a good job on the balancing poses - where you're only on one leg, like Airplane and Warrior 3. I really like those.

Oh! And one other thing! I got a new pair of yoga pants from Lululemon. I'd link to them, but they're not online. Anyway, when I was shopping, I'd gone to a different store and tried on pants, and left thinking I was hugely fat and should give up on exercise and just eat ice cream all day. Then I went to Lululemon. Their pants do something magic where they hide the lumps and bumps on my thighs and bottom. I looked in the mirror and actually liked what I saw! And today, in hot yoga, I could look at my legs and behind in the mirror and not want to puke!

I know that's totally shallow, but I can't help it. I care what I look like. And it's nice when I think I look okay.

3 comments:

ItchyBits said...

Yeah for no lumps or bumps---I am sure it is all in your head anyway.

Spokane Al said...

It sounds like you had a great day. And I am glad to hear the Zoomers work for you. They tore up my feet and I still have some lingering marks from them. Mine have gone into the give away bin.

Wes said...

Nice swim, girl! You are becoming quite the fish!!

"I could look at my legs and behind in the mirror and not want to puke!"

No, that's cool. We all know how important it is to feel good about yourself.