Friday, March 23, 2007

Private lesson, hot yoga, sabotage, running fast, and Britney

Today I have lots to say!

First, I got up early for a private swim lesson with Eric Preston, who teaches the triathlon workshops and classes at the Pro Club. I've been trying all these drills in the class I've been taking, but I had a feeling that I wasn't doing them quite right - and therefore wasn't seeing the benefit.

By the time I finished a half-hour with Eric, I could already feel a difference in how I glide through the water. I'm not sure whether I'm going to do more 1:1 lessons - they're not cheap - but now I've got something new to work with. It wasn't much of a workout, so I'm definitely low on swimming this week, but I'm not worried about it. I just can't make it a habit!

Then I went to hot yoga, which was wonderful as usual. I was in a different part of the room today, closer to the door, and I didn't love that. Isn't that weird? Closer to the door is cooler; the teacher opens the door when the room seems too hot. But I wanted to stay hot! Wendy and Regan joined me, and I hope they liked it as much as I did. I actually found myself looking forward to certain poses that I find difficult, so I could challenge myself! And of course, I walked out of there feeling light, limber, and happy.

When I got to work, there was a doughnut on a plate by my keyboard - apparently a gift from my friend Jeff, who knows my love of all food with holes in the center (because the calories escape through that hole). This doughnut was organic and vegan and very yummy! And organic and vegan mean healthy, right? (Okay, this is the sabotage I refer to in my post title.)

However, I was kind of dreading the last part of my workout today. I needed to get my intense run done, and I had decided to do a flat 5K, as fast as I can. I thought I could do 22 to 23 minutes.

Well, not quite. I was on track for 2.1 miles, and then I just couldn't go any more. I am not sure if it was mind or body that gave out; I kept trying to tell myself I could push a little more, but honestly at some point my brain just turned off, and though I knew I was hitting the "cool down" button to stop, it was barely a conscious choice at that point.

However, my heart rate never rose above 185, so I'm sure I have some room to go there. I just need to remind my heart what it's like to pump faster than that, as it hasn't had to in months!

Since I had decided to run 5K, I didn't let myself off the hook entirely. After I recovered for a couple of minutes, I decided I'd finish the last mile in intervals - and every time I took a break, I had to come back and run even faster for the next interval. So here's what I ended up doing:

2.1 miles - 15:49 - 7:31/mile - 8.0 mph
.5 miles - 3:32- 7:03/mile - 8.5 mph
.3 miles - 2:01 - 6:48/mile - 8.8 mph
.1 miles - 0:40 - 6:38/mile - 9.0 mph (no break here - just pushed it up for the end)
.1 miles - 0:38 - 6:21/mile - 9.5 mph

Total running time:
22:40

So I do think I can do a 22 or 23 minute flat 5K; I just need to work up to it, and in my second week of running speed work after months and months of none, it probably was too ambitious of a goal.

Or maybe I don't push myself hard enough. Either way, I know I will do it in the near future.

Then I took the THIRD shower of the day (one after my swim, one after yoga, and now one after running). That's when I realized: The reason Britney shaved her head was because she wants to be a triathlete, and hair is just annoying and in the way when you do multiple workouts a day and sweat so much you need to shower! Am I right?

One other thing to mention: No more wearing my pink camo GymGirl for running speed work. When I run fast, my mp3 player, which is attached via a clip to my waistband, pulls my skirt down and shows my underwear. NOT COOL. I'm not sure anyone noticed...but then again, probably someone I work with is posting pictures on the Internet right now. Oh well!

4 comments:

Kate said...

a 22 minute 5k is HARD! but I'm sure you have it in you- it just might not come out until after Canada.. Sub 23 is definitely there for the taking!

Regan said...

You are a force to be reconned with, girlfriend. "Don't push myself hard enough" indeed! Puhlease! :) You push hard and I'm glad you listened to your body. I was pretty wiped after Yoga and all that dehydration takes it's toll on the body. Try running the 5K first thing one morning and I bet you could do it! Nothing can keep you back. :)

Hugs,

Regan

Jessica said...

You know, I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure I was to some degree dehydrated - hot yoga definitely robs you of fluids! Interesting. I'll have to try it again on a day when I don't do hot yoga.

Wes said...

Jess, you are just super speedy! You'll achieve your running goals. Nice job on the swim!