Wednesday, March 07, 2007

T-Time!

Since Monday's swim workout class, I've been fearing Wednesday morning. I didn't even sleep well last night because of it!

The reason I was so freaked out was that I didn't want to do the 100-yard swim test the coach had scheduled. I knew approximately where I was, but I didn't really want to face it.

Part of it is that it's just a fact: I'm a slow swimmer. I don't really know why; I know I could improve my stroke mechanics, but since I have so much swim endurance, I guess I just don't really want to. I want to focus on getting faster on the bike and run.

And I was also worried about being the slowest in the class.

Well, I was pretty close to the slowest, I think. That said, I was faster than I thought I'd be.

I thought I'd come in around 2 minutes; instead, I was 1:48, 1:53, and 1:55 (you do the 100 yards three times, with about 15 seconds of rest in between). So that's an average of 1:52.

I'm actually fairly happy with that; I know it's slow, but it's a decent place from where I can improve.

What I was less happy about was that I completely lost my ability to bilaterally breathe when I got tired, and I almost panicked on one of the runs. I expected to slow down each time, I just didn't know how bad it would be.

But it's great to have a baseline - and people who have taken this class before say they have improved over time. So I can work at it too and hopefully get better.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Good work- those are nice solid 100y times!

Wes said...

I can bilateral breath for like 2 laps of the 25 meter pool. Then its like breath every other stroke or drown! Nice times! That's a good base to build on.