Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oops. Dieting caught up with me

I knew my dramatic weight drop was too good to be true.

Monday morning, the scale read 143. This morning, 138.6. Excellent, right? I've eaten between 1300 and 1400 good calories each day this week, and burned over a thousand in exercise each day.

So...we go out for our "long" run - not too long yet, just 75-90 minutes. And even on the downhill, I was just feeling draggy.

It was me, Danielle, and Nancy. Danielle asked me about what I'd been eating...and she gave me the stern reminder that "Eat to Compete" isn't the same thing as "Eat to Lose Weight."

"Eat to Compete" should actually be 20 to 25% calories from fat, 50 to 60% from carbs, and 15 to 30% from protein - so much lower in protein than I've been doing, and much higher in carbs.

That's going to be so hard for me! But I'm positive that my lack of performance this morning has to do with depleting my muscles of glycogen and not giving my body the carbohydrates it needs to replenish.

The thing is, carbs are a slippery slope. It's just too easy to go from a bagel to a brownie. And I have been eating carbs - English muffin, brown rice (and lots of fruit and veggies, but they don't have the same effect on your body) - but just not enough. And I've been quelling hunger with protein, which is so very effective.

Danielle said it's okay for me to try to lose a few pounds, but by staying closer to 1500 calories per day and increasing my carbs. It will mean my weight loss is much slower - but it was going to slow down anyway (I always lose 3-4 lbs immediately when I cut out sugar.) So here goes. I'm going to try it.

In other news, after our run we went to Victor's for coffee. It really is the most delicious coffee in the universe. It has ruined me for all other coffee, except maybe the hazelnut-flavored drip at Noah's Bagels. And an ounce of half-and-half is the most delicious 39 calories of my day!

3 comments:

Steven said...

Remember to fuel the machine or the machine will quit on you.

Jeff said...

Mmm... Victor's

Spokane Al said...

As one who has fought weight issues off and on over the years I understand what you are going through.

It is doable but never gets very easy. We must always be on guard!