Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Weird Wednesday

So today, I have some big meetings at work with people from outside the company. They want to know about our next software release.

Unfortunately, the word from on high is: The first rule of is, you don't talk about .

So it was interesting to try to talk for 90 minutes about "the future" without defining what's in the future or when the future will be the present. :-) But on a positive note, I had a reason to wear a cute skirt and pearls to work! And makeup!

Of course, everyone who doesn't know I'm doing these presentations asks, "Are you interviewing today?" (That's pretty much the only time people in the software development side of this company wear nice clothes.)

Anyway, the point of discussing work,which I rarely do here, is to explain that today was a little messed up because I couldn't go out for my normal Wednesday noon bike ride or spin class.

Instead, I did my run (per my run-every-day rule) on the treadmill early this morning (5:15 a.m. to be exact). I did half a mile easy, then one mile in 7:50, then another half a mile easy to cool down. Good enough.

I really want to run a 6-minute mile. Just one of them - I don't even need to do a 5K at that pace (at least that's not my goal today - we'll see whether I change my mind in the future). I also want to run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes.

Then I went to spin class, but only for 48 minutes. (48 instead of 45 because I track my time spent in each sport based on decimals, and 48 minutes = .80. I know 45 = .75, and that's easy, but I wanted to do 50 minutes but that's not a number you can get exact at two decimal places. Yes, I am a total freak with my data logging.) I couldn't stay until the end because I had to get to swim class!

Swimming was okay; I wasn't really into it, but since I took it fairly easy Monday, I wanted to push harder today. We did a 500-yard time trial (among other exercises), and I did it in 10:55. UGH. The first two laps were two minutes even, then I just kept watching as my speed diminished. I know I was doing what I can, though, because my HR was pretty high (like, 165 - which is high for in the pool).

But hey, I've got 23.5 more weeks to get faster. And anyway, I'm always faster in open water for some reason. Plus, even at my slow speed now, I won't miss the cutoff for the swim on my Ironman.

In other good news, dieting is still perfect! But tonight is a dinner with those people from outside the company. I'm thinking I'm not going to eat with them, but instead bring my own food and eat my healthy stuff.

1 comment:

Alison said...

I'm curious -- my IM training plan basically says to keep your heart rate LOW (like 140s -- I'm 27) for the vast majority of my training. Because I'm recovering from an injury, that's actually really good for me. Are you supposed to be getting your HR and intensity up this early in your training plan?

By the way, I still keep meaning to send you those job postings that I'm curious about. I haven't forgotten -- I've just been so busy this week!