Friday, June 23, 2006

Triathlon Friday, plus accusations that I'm insane

I love my Friday workout!

I swam for 30 minutes, really comfortably. The sun was coming up and skating across the water; it was lovely, but it hid the buoys from me and made it very hard to do unilateral breathing on the sun-coming-up side. So I practiced both unilateral breathing on my uncomfortable - left - side, and bilateral breathing.

It felt really good to swim though - when I woke up, I really didn't want to go, and only the thought of meeting my friends got me out of bed. My glutes hurt, too - hill repeats! From now on, hill repeats need to happen earlier in the week. I'm glad we did them, but owwie! (Aleks told me her behind hurt too.)

In my "transition," I'd forgotten to set out my socks, then I couldn't find them in my bag. We took I think seven minutes! Yuck! But hey - I won't make that mistake again. I guess that's the point of training: make all the mistakes now, so we don't later on.

Biking was fun, but I was COLD. Oh, I also learned that trying to put on gloves with full fingers over wet hands isn't very effective. Now I definitely need fingerless gloves. I didn't ride all that hard, but it was enjoyable, and I managed to stay more in my aeros than usual.

My bike to run transition was fast, but my friends were done and didn't want to run, so I just went by myself. I grabbed my mp3 player and looped the park five times - it's downhill and up, only a little bit flat, and mostly on trail, so it's nice. But I remained cold until more than 20 minutes in - so much so that my toes and the bottom of my feet were numb. Darn Reynaud's Syndrome.

Then I went to switch cars with the hubby and got a lecture on why I'm insane. It went something like, when we discussed your schedule x months ago you didn't say you were going to exercise three hours a day, and you are, and Camille is wearing SpiderMan underwear because she didn't have any clean underwear today. And everyone I talk to says exercising three hours a day is more than excessive (mind you, he doesn't talk to anyone who is remotely athletic).

Okay. I can solve the underwear problem. I can lay out her clothes the night before, I can make sure laundry is always done (I usually do - I've done laundry this week, so I'm surprised she doesn't have clean underwear. I think she does, I think he just can't find it.) I can solve breakfast if it's hard to get the kids ready in the morning, I can be a better wife if John tells me what that means. But "you're insane" is meaningless and not actionable, so I can't do anything about it.

I think I balance my responsibilities well! My house is clean, dinner is always made, laundry is usually done, the kids are bathed, I'm fairly successful at work - I don't know what else I could do. But I would do it if someone told me what to do and I agreed.

One of our mutual friends recently told John, "Jessica always needs a mountain to climb." Okay, fine, maybe I do, and maybe this is it. So why would John be complaining? Triathlon is just this year's mountain.

Next year, I want to climb a real mountain though. Mt. Rainier. Hmm. What was it John was saying this morning?

Oh, today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: VitaTop, banana, milk in coffee: 200 cals
Breakfast: Cookie, yogurt, granola: 450 cals

Exercise:
Triathlon practice
1000 calories burned

No comments: