Monday, June 05, 2006

Two long bike rides

Yesterday we went out for a 40-mile ride including the Lakemont Blvd. climb. Love that! The only issue I had was that at about mile 14, my bike started refusing to shift! One of my friends spent 20 minutes trying to fix it, and he got it so I had three gears: my hardest, my easiest, and a middle gear (small ring in the front, small ring in the back). You'd that that might be enough, but not quite: some of the time I was either mashing to keep going, or spinning almost out of control.

At mile 38, my husband gave up and started walking. He was really discouraged. And as much as I feel bad about that, I also feel two other things:

1) If you don't train, how can you expect to ride hard?
2) What goes around, comes around.

What I mean by #2 is this: yesterday morning at breakfast, we were talking with another friend about my really great bike results from Issaquah. John said to me, "I want to ride with you today, and I want to do the same course you did yesterday, and see if I can beat you."

I was like, oh my goodness. Is your masculinity that challenged that you have to feel better about yourself by putting me down? I have TRAINED. I earned that great result - and it doesn't come at a cost to John! He could be fast (even faster than me, probably) if he WORKED like I did. So I said no thank you, my legs are a little tired from yesterday (Saturday) but we could ride somewhere else instead.

Then he kept rejecting all the rides I came up with (too hilly, apparently) until I came up with one that only had one huge hill. Whatever. The hill was two miles long, and I beat him up the hill by more than seven minutes.

So today I rode to work the long way (45 miles) and John drove the van with his bike in it. At lunch time, I rode to his work to get the van, and he is supposed to ride home. Hopefully he'll enjoy it.

So, since Saturday I did a sprint triathlon plus about 90 miles. Yay!

Here are today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: 1/2 bagel with peanut butter, 160 cals
Workout fuel: 1 Luna bar, 1/2 bag sport beans, 230 cals
Breakfast: Yogurt and granola, milk in coffee, 430 cals
Snack: 1/2 Clif bar, 125 cals
Lunch: Chicken and broccoli over noodles, 400 cals
total so far: 1345 cals

Exercise:
Bike 50 miles
Calories burned: 1500

No comments: