Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A chaotic morning

Today didn't start as wonderfully as yesterday.

John asked me to drive his fancy car to work (I don't think this link shows the right year, but the body style is all the same, and John's is black too). But he blocked me in by parking his truck in front of the garage where the NSX was, so I had to go find truck keys and move the truck. Then I pulled the NSX out of the garage and had to get out of the car to close the garage door, because that door has no opener. Then I started driving down the street and realized there was no gas in the car. So I went to the gas station, which made me annoyed because I didn't know which side the gas tank was on, and because my debit card doesn't work at gas stations and I hate using credit cards. So I couldn't find my wallet. Then I did. And I found which side the gas tank was on (the driver's), but for some reason it wouldn't open. So I go to call John and wake him up (it's 4:40 a.m., by the way - another reason I don't like to stop to get gas) but my cell phone isn't in my purse. So I drive back home. When I get out of the car, I notice that the gas door has decided to open on its own. Yay. I run inside, get my cell phone, go back to the gas station, buy gas with a credit card, call my running partners to say I'm going to be late, and then finally drive to the Pro Club.

And the worst part? The darn car has no cup holders, so I couldn't even have my cup of coffee on the way to the club.

So now that I have that off my chest, I feel a lot better. :-) Now, to my workout:

We ran for an hour (and really stuck to the hour for once - 64 minutes to be exact, versus our normal hour of 75 to 80 minutes), then Aleks and I lifted weights (upper body only - my glutes hurt from yesterday's climbs) and did abs. We like to tell each other how much we hate each other while we're doing plank or hover or pushups. I need to do more pushups - I'm such a pushup weenie. I can only do about 7 before I have to go to my knees - which doesn't make sense to me, because my triceps seem fairly well developed when I look at them in the mirror. Maybe my body is just too heavy for my poor arms (my arms are kind of skinny compared to the rest of me, I think).

Then I dragged myself down to Lake Sammamish for a swim. I was hoping that no one would be there so I would be able to say it wasn't safe and I couldn't swim, but of course there was a small crowd - including a few people I know training for Ironman Canada. So I had to swim - I just did two laps, though (about 30 minutes of swimming). The water was really choppy; there were wakeboarders coming way too close to the buoys. Oh, but I used my wetsuit today, and it did practically swim for me. I think I will use it in the rest of my tris - I just like how little work I have to do!

After the morning I had (and it continued - I switched cars with John and had to drive one of John's customers to work, but he forgot that Gabriel's backpack was in the van so I had to drive back down to his shop and give it to him, but that was of course after I'd parked at my building, and this whole time I'm completely soaking wet and still in my bathing suit and it's 51 degrees outside so I was COLD).

But I'm going to stop whining now and be happy again. :-) My friends and I are taking a little lunchtime journey to Speedy Reedy - a local triathlon store - so that should be fun!

Today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: 1 Alternative Bagel, 110 cals
Breakfast: Banana bread, milk in coffee, 1 slice ham, cheese: 420 cals
Lunch: 12 oz low-fat beef barley soup, tuna with low-fat ranch dressing: 300 calories

Exercise:
Run 1 hour
Lift 30 minutes
Swim 30 minutes
900 calories burned

5 comments:

El Coruchero said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Aleks said...

What I want to know, is where you're finding the calorie counts for random cafeteria foods. :)

Jessica said...

Ah, that's easy. I use standard rough measurements I learned in the 20/20 program (where I lost weight). So today I had three ounces of tuna for 105 calories, plus 1 tbsp of ranch dressing for 20 cals (looked on the bottle for that), plus 1/2 cup of veggies for 25 cals - that's 150. Then the soups are from Au Bon Pain, so I use their web site to look up the calorie counts of each soup they have. 12 ounces of low-fat beef barley is 145 cals - so really it's 295, but I just said 300.

Wes said...

Sounds like Murphy was in the house, or rather the car this morning. And I don't blame you one bit for not liking to stop that early in the morning. When stuff starts turning against you like that, sometimes it takes a little while to make the momentum swing in the other direction.

Keep working on your push ups :-) You can do the 10% thing a week there too. I have a special fondness for push ups after being in the Army...

Caio!

Wes

In the sky, above the clouds said...

I'm really impressed with the way you really stick to your workout...and at 4 in the morning at that even! I wish I had a little of that in me. What is the diet you talked about? 20/20?? I need to get off this lazy butt and do something about my weight. I guess just trying to find the right thing...Thanks for the info.