Thursday, August 31, 2006

The coolest swim ever

I met the gals (this morning, Nancy and Danielle) for a long run at 5:15 this morning. We were out for 90 minutes, and I'm bitter to report that it was only 8 miles! Which actually puzzles me quite a bit, because both Danielle and I felt like we were running 9:30 miles. Well, we did have to wait at stop lights and so on...so, whatever. :-) My legs are still sore from Tuesday, anyway.

Then Danielle and I met Regan for a swim. It was 50 degrees outside, but the water is still in the high 60s, I think. So it was next to impossible to walk down to the water, but fairly easy to get in!

Once we were in the water, the swim was just incredible. There was so much fog across the lake we could barely see the buoys! Plus, Regan's and Danielle's goggles were fogging up. Mine were pretty much okay because I put that no-fog stuff in them last night. So it was just gorgeous - the sun was coming up and filtering through the fog, and the lake was fairly calm. We did about 2/3 of a mile, pretty slowly. We wanted to stay together since it was really hard to see!

While I was swimming, I imagined what the Ironman swim would be like. Wow. I hope to have the chance to observe a mass swim start like that so I can figure out my race strategy. I'm actually kind of worried about that.

So...in other news, when I finish this blog post I am calling Danielle's hairdresser and making an appointment to have my hair bleached. Seriously. I'm going blond. Wrong time of year (fall instead of summer, but whatever).

So, today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: 1 Vitatop and milk in coffee, 130 cals
Breakfast: Milk in more coffee, two hard-boiled eggs, banana bread: 500 cals
Lunch: Chicken sandwich, 400 cals
Snack: Nectarine and cheese: 130 cals
Dinner: Chicken burrito: 800 cals
"Tea party" with Camille: Probably 400 unecessary calories. UGH.
total for the day: 2360 calories. UGH UGH UGH. So good until dinner time.

Exercise:
Run 90 minutes
Swim 30 minutes
Calories burned: 1000

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, blonde?! I can't wait to see pics! (You like how you wrote an entire post about diet and exercise and I hone in on the haircolor? I can be such a girl.)

Regan said...

Woot! We'll all be blondes! You go girl!

And it was a wonderful swim this morning! :)

Wes said...

Blond? hee, hee. Can't wait to see a pic! Dee Dee went from black, to red, to blond, back to red, then back to black. I just don't get it :-)

So you have bouys for your mile markers? I'm contemplating how to determine the mileage on the lake behind my neighborhood. I guess it can wait til next year though...

Aleks said...

It's going to look HOT... and it will accentuate the pink! I'm not quite ready to go back to blond... but I so want to match the rest of the crew. What a dilemma!

Anonymous said...

Wow 2 Half Ironmans in the span of 15 days!!!! I respect your drive and determination. Best of luck to you!