Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Tomorrow is going to HURT

Ow ow ow. It's wrong when by the time you hit the shower, your muscles already feel sore after lifting...but that's what I get for not lifting for...um, a couple of weeks? Yeah.

But it was good, and I was happy to notice I hadn't lost muscle tone in my arms. Starting in a few weeks I plan to go back to three times a week of lifting.

So here's what we did:

Two sets of each:
With the exercise ball behind my back against the wall, holding body in a squat, 15 bicep curls (12 lbs each hand)
With exercise ball under my shoulders and hips up to make a "tabletop" body, 15 tricep extensions (12 lbs each hand)
With exercise ball under my shoulders and hips up to make a "tabletop" body, 15 chest press (12 lbs each hand, should have done 15 though)
With exercise ball under my shoulders and hips up to make a "tabletop" body, 15 chest fly (8 lbs each hand, couldn't find 10s)
Standing up: Shoulder raises (8 lbs)
Standing up: Some other shoulder thing, I forgot what (Aleks made me do it)
On the Bosu ball upside down: Overhead press with squats (8 lbs, should have done 10s)
Lunges on the exercise ball while holding a medicine ball and lifting it straight into the air (15 each side twice)
Something on the exercise ball for hamstrings (again, Aleks' exercise)
Something on the exercise ball for obliques
Bicycle crunches
Hover (1 minute, and it HURT me this time)
Plank (1 minute 30 seconds and my right wrist gave out)
Exercise ball push-ups
Squat pulses

I actually really enjoy strength training. It's just taken a back seat this summer to sport-specific training.

So here are today's data...so far. I'm going on a bike ride at lunch and we'll see how that goes.

--

Okay, the bike ride was FABULOUS. It was led by folks from the Cascade Bicycle Club, and they said in advance the ride would be "brisk" - which means 16-18 on flats. I knew I could hold that, but I was still nervous - it would me mostly Microsoft people, which likely meant men with the same testosterone ratios as poor, framed Floyd. :-) Anyway, I wasn't sure how I'd do in that situation.

Well, it was sort of like that, but the ride leader got the feeling everyone could hang with a harder pace, so he picked it up - and we rode fairly hard for 19 miles including the steepest hill I've ever ridden - so steep I started to wheeze! Which was so interesting to me that it sort of took my mind off the fact that it hurt.

At the end, the ride leader told us he'd classify the ride as "strenuous" - the next faster classification of ride. So I felt good (even though I'm sure part of why the ride was so fun was that the leader stays in front - so the rest of us draft).


Food:
Pre-workout: Yogurt, 110 cals
Breakfast: English muffin, ham, cheese, milk in coffee, cottage cheese, nectarine: 440 cals
Lunch: Turkey and swiss on whole-wheat, 500 cals
Snack: Hostess cupcake (too many meetings, not enough healthy food): 180 cals
Dinner: Chicken breast, green beans: 400 cals
Ice cream: John brought home a special mix from Cold Stone just for me...how could I resist? Probably 400 calories, though.
total calories: 2030

Exercise:
Strength training, 1 hour: 250 calories
Bike ride, 1 hour 15 minutes: 600 calories

1 comment:

:) said...

It's nice to get back to the gym, huh? I have had a "strength" specific summer and have actually enjoyed the change.

Have a good ride at lunch!