Thursday, August 03, 2006

More adventures in 55 degree weather

Yeah, for all you readers in hot parts of the country (which I think is everywhere but here?): it was 55 this morning when I went out for my run. I wore long pants and a long-sleeve shirt.

However, 55 degree weather plus an open-water swim without a wetsuit equals a very, very cold Jessica. My fingers and toes are still numb, even after showering and getting dressed. (Reynaud's Syndrome, but still...I feel freezing!)

We did a 6.5 mile run at a nice, chatty pace - four of us to start out, then Nancy cut back to the club 30 minutes in because of a blister. It's so great, though, to have this awesome group to run with! I think it's really been the key to my good season - having great people to train with. It makes getting out of bed at 4:25 a.m. tolerable.

Then I met Sarah for a swim. We did about 2/3 of a mile without wetsuits. I can feel that I'm getting stronger without the wetsuit - today was better than last week for sure. It was so cold getting in, though! Once I was swimming, it was fine, but to start...ugh!

I can still feel how much more work it is to swim without a wetsuit, but it's not bad - and I am able to conserve my legs, I think, by using a stronger pull. In fact, the stronger pull I tried out today made me swim a lot faster than usual.

So, it's hours later and I'm still not warm. Oh well.

Here are today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: Banana and milk in coffee, 110 cals
Breakfast: Bagel, ham, and cheese; milk in coffee: 480 cals
Lunch: Chicken breast and salad: 450 cals
A moment of weakness: Brownie, 200 cals (not all of it)
total so far: 1240 cals
Dinner: Tuna steak, veggies, bread, rice
Then John fed me ice cream. :-(

Exercise:
Run: 500 calories
Swim: 300 calories (some of this was "transition" too, but whatever)

4 comments:

:) said...

55 DEGREES??? That is almost half of our predicted highs today.

That's it. I'm moving.

Wes said...

I remember when Dee Dee and I went to Hawaii. The damn water was cold there! A balm 77 degrees :-) I guess I'm spoiled swimming in Gulf of Mexico. You guys would probably think it was bath water!!

I heard about conserving your legs on the swim. I can't imagine swimming with just your arms, especially on the shorter tris. Guess I'll find out someday.

Shannon Morgan said...

Long pants? And a shirt with what now? You're speaking gibberish - I've never heard of these garments you speak of.

What you do before 8am is inspiring. I'm thinking I'm going to have to start logging my exercise in order to keep me motivated and honest. Thanks for setting a great example. Hope you've warmed up by now!

Andy said...

I think that it is great that you have that group to participate in, and motivate you to get up in the morning, as well as to keep you going during your workouts.

I had a post where I asked everyone whether to have a wetsuit or not. All the Triathlons I have been in have been located in the Souteast, and water temps stay fairly warm throughout most of the year. Basically the feedback I got was that they help you with bouancy, and can help a bit with speed. I think I will break down and get one eventually, but I might wait until next season when I know that i have some events coming up where they will come in handy. I am also going to begin consistently doing longer races next year, so that will help with the bouancy issue.

Have a good weekend.