Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ironman Canada: Here I come

Last night John and I went out to dinner without the kids. I intended to use this dinner to talk him into letting me go to Penticton next weekend with Danielle so she can sign up for Ironman Canada 2007 - after all, it's a long drive, and blah blah blah. But I also decided to ask one more time if I could sign up for an Ironman event in 2007.

We had a long discussion about it, and came to some agreements.

I can't forget what's most important: God and family. I can't put triathlon before those things, ever.

I can't take for granted all that John does to accommodate my training and schedule.

I can't miss out on my kids' important events, or even just being there to play and enjoy one another.

I can't neglect my husband - he needs my undivided attention frequently.

I have to continue to perform well at my job, and I have to do what I can to support John's new business.

But I think it will work. I think I can train enough to "complete happy" - that's the goal. It won't be much more than I trained this year for the half-IM - probably a max hard week of 20 hours or so - but it will be intense, and I won't be off the hook for chores, family fun, sex, or anything else just because I trained for three hours before the sun even came up.

But I get to do an Ironman.

I'm really the luckiest girl alive.

7 comments:

Wes said...

Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! When is Ironman Canada? Got to add you to my count down and I can't wait to hear all about your training. Personally, I think your hubby shoulda put sex before God and family, but maybe that's just me ;-) If you have your priorities straight, and your family supports you, like I think they will, then none of those things should be an issue for you. There are plenty of other Iron(wo)man blogging out there to draw support from.

As far as the bees go, my wife says they are attracted to her cause she's sweet. I think we can apply that to you too! You have a great week up there in Microsofty land...

Aleks said...

This makes us all very, very happy! :) I can't wait to see you at the finish line!!!

Andy said...

Yeah!!!

I knew he would come around sometime. If he really knows how much this means to you, you both would find a way to make it work. Do I sense a family outing to IM Canada 2007???

Now, if I can just get my girlfriend up to speed soon enough so that she can compete in events with me, rather than just coming to spectate time and time again.

Murtha...

Ironayla said...

That is great news! It will be the 25th year of IMC... so I am sure it will be a really big event. Make sure to get in line early!

I love IMC, it was my first IM in 2003. You will have a great time!

Laura said...

Go girl! Take a picture of your family and carry it around with you. Then you can remember what they look like. :) Just kidding. You will have loads of fun.

Jessica said...

Thank you all for your support!

Ironman Canada is the last weekend of August 2007 - so I won't even start intense training until February. But yes, it does fill quickly, so we're not even getting a hotel in Penticton (not that we could at this late date) - we're going to drive up early Sunday the 26th, watch the end of the race, and get right in line and sleep there. We're SO EXCITED!

And yes, the whole family will come. We'll probably do two triathlon-focused vacations: to Sunriver, OR for the Pacific Crest half-Ironman and then to Penticton for the biggie. :-)

:) said...

Way cool!