Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Feeling better...but mad at Starbucks!

Not quite 100% yet, but definitely improved.

My weight this morning was 142. Considering how much I ate last week, that's okay. And I've had two days in a row of solid meal-tracking and no serious infractions!

I think I will be doing the club ride today, but if it starts to feel hard, I'm going to let them drop me and ride on my own.

Finally, I'm furious at Starbucks. A few months ago they introduced "Reduced fat banana chocolate chip coffee cake." (Three of my favorite things all in one: banana, chocolate chip, and cake! Coffee would be a fourth, but there's no coffee in coffee cake, AFAIK.) So I'm not an idiot - I know "reduced fat" is different from "low fat" and doesn't necessarily mean "reduced calories." However, they didn't post the calorie count for it immediately on their web site, so I figured it was probably similar to Starbucks' other reduced-fat coffee cakes - which are between 320 and 350 calories. Well, today I was looking up something else, and noticed that the banana coffee cake is now listed.

Guess how many calories?

470.

As a comparison, check this out:

Raspberry scone: 460
Chocolate croissant: 200
Top Pot apple fritter: 450
Toffee almond bar: 430
Chocolate cupcake: 400

In fact, that "reduced-fat" banana chocolate chip coffee cake is one of the worst offenders in terms of calories at Starbucks. And yes, it is "only" 15 grams of fat, compared with 27 for the apple fritter, but still. I count calories only because ultimately that's what counts: Calories in, calories out. The rest (protein, fat, carbs) impacts how many calories I eat/desire, and obviously protein helps repair muscle, carbs provide fuel, good fat helps stave off hunger, but for weight management it's all about the calorie.

So today I went to Panera for my coffee and I ate a ham and white cheddar scone (340 calories) for breakfast. It's a little more carbalicious than I should have in the morning - I know it will make me feel ravenous by noon - but I haven't been grocery shopping except at the produce stand for weeks and I don't have any ham, cottage cheese, or english muffins in my office and I'm thinking two eggs per day might not be advisable given that the women in my family all have high cholesterol (hereditary; however, it is high good cholesterol so I'm not super-worried).

Today's data:

Food:
Breakfast: Ham and cheddar scone from Panera, milk in coffee: 370 cals
Lunch: Soup and 1/2 sandwich, 510 calories
Snack: Granola bar, 140 cals
Dinner: 3 oz fish, broccoli, brown rice, bread: 600 cls
total today: 1620 cals

Exercise:
Club ride, 1 hour, 450 calories burned

8 comments:

Aleks said...

Oh, I'd be soooooo "p%&*$#". What a waste! We are always really weary of food marketing, but 470 cals for a reduced fat coffee cake? That happens to be way higher in calories than it's counterparts at Starbucks. Seems crappy to me and sad because there are people all over the world buying these and not knowing why they are getting hungry soon after eating and why they are gaining weight (or can't lose weight).

Lance Notstrong said...

Holy crap!! You could have had a chocolate cup cake!!!

Jessica said...

I'm not sure if Lance's comment is supposed to be sarcastic, but I'm taking it seriously. Yeah, I know! I've been duped!

Wes said...

LOL. I guess its reduced if the normal one is a thousand calories... As a side note, I got your beat on the cholesterol thing. All of my bad cholesterol levels are abnormally low. I wonder if that affects my brain at all... What was I saying? Well, that may be a result of my bygone days where most of my calories came from beer and alcohol. Did I just say that? What's my name... LOL. You go girl! Hope you had a great ride this morning...

Andy said...

It is depressing. One day, my best friend and I decided that we would go on all fast food and chain websites to see the nutritional information for what we like to eat at all of our favorite establishments. Most depressing day of my life.

Murtha...

Tammy said...

NOTHING at Starbucks is low fat. Even their sandwiches are obscene! But you can always ask for calorie info, they have it in a little book behind the counter ;)

Unknown said...

What does it matter how many calories are in each item? Calories are energy, which you burn off during the day anyway! Have you heard of negative calories? Those are calories that are burned when you eat a certain food item that is harder to digest and takes more energy out of the body, like a fruit or vegetable.
The most important thing to remember is the fat content, it shouldn't exceed 20% of the Daily Value, and sugar is important too. Calories are mainly calculated from sugar content, so if something is only 100 calories, it doesn't mean its GOOD for you, it could be high fat, so watch out!

Catherine O,
Nutritionist.

Unknown said...

What does it matter how many calories are in each item? Calories are energy, which you burn off during the day anyway! Have you heard of negative calories? Those are calories that are burned when you eat a certain food item that is harder to digest and takes more energy out of the body, like a fruit or vegetable.
The most important thing to remember is the fat content, it shouldn't exceed 20% of the Daily Value, and sugar is important too. Calories are mainly calculated from sugar content, so if something is only 100 calories, it doesn't mean its GOOD for you, it could be high fat, so watch out!

Catherine O,
Nutritionist.