Thursday, August 10, 2006

My regularly-scheduled workout...plus a six-year-old

I forgot if I blogged this already, but too bad if I did. The other day, Gabriel said to me, "It's no fair, Mom. You get to ride and run and swim before work every day."

So I was like. "Yeah, did you hear yourself? I do it before WORK. You don't have to go to work, kid!"

But since he is going to camp near my work and school starts pretty soon, I figured that if I were ever going to bring him with me on a Tuesday or Thursday, it would have to be today.

Plus, today we decided to run at 6 instead of 5:15, so it made it slightly easier to wake him up. I went in his room at 5 - it was still completely dark - and tried to wake him. After a couple of gentle shakes, he jumped right out of bed ready to go. Okay, I guess he meant it when he said he wanted to come!

I met Nancy and Aleks and we left on the flattest route I could think of - Gabriel's bike doesn't have gears, so he slows considerably uphill. And like on the weekends, his behavior was perfect. He stopped at all the street crossings and waited, he didn't whine when we did have uphill to contend with, and when there was a long stretch without a logical stopping point, he just pulled over and waited for us to catch him. He rocked it - and we got the benefit of the bike computer I got him (7.14 miles in 1:12 - and that includes stopping at street lights for at least 5 minutes, so we were around a 9:30 pace or so).

Then I took him down to Idylwood to swim. At first he said he was tired, so we just walked down to the water together to check it out, but when he put his toes in, he saw how warm it was and we went back to the car for our wetsuits.

Once he was all the way in the water, he needed some, uh, encouragement to start swimming and warm up. I held his hands while he kicked around, then when he felt comfortable, he started swimming. He actually can swim - but he can't quite do his arms at the same time as his breathing. But that's okay - he's six, and most kids triathlons don't actually require that the kid swims. I need to get him in lessons.

So, that was my morning, and it was fun. The kid gets a little too informal with me sometimes - calling me "woman" or "lady" and treating me like a friend instead of a parent - but in general, I really enjoy sharing my workouts with him.

On to today's data:
Food:
Pre-workout: Yogurt: 110 cals
Breakfast: Bagel with egg, ham, and cheese, milk in coffee: 500 cals
Lunch: Tuna (w/veggies and low-cal ranch), soup, crackers: 330 cals
Snack: Cheese, 50 cals
Dinner: Chicken breast, salad, and later, um, that last slice of leftover pizza. Remind me never to buy pizza again!: 720 cals
Total today: 1710 calories
(so I guess despite the slice of pizza I really didn't need, I'm okay for the day)

Exercise:
Run 7 miles
Play with kid in lake
700 calories burned

2 comments:

Wes said...

Sounds like you started your day off with a bang today, woman :-)

Jessica said...

Heh. So I get comments emailed to me so I know when they're left, and I completely forgot that I wrote about the kid calling me "woman," so I read your comment and felt very puzzled...for a few minutes! :-)