Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Banish the thought

I went out today for one last bike ride here in Redmond before IMC. I only kind of had a plan for where I was going to ride; definitely south on West Lake Sammamish Parkway, but then maybe back north through Bellevue, or through Issaquah and back north around the other side of the lake, or maybe continue south and do the Lakemont climb.

I was only three or four miles out when I started writing a blog entry in my head. I do this a lot. I usually forget them before I return to the computer.

This one I remember, though, and it started like this: "DNF: Did not make the bike cutoff."

And seriously, I entertained the thought and was writing it all out in my head when I sat up out of my aerobars and pretty much yelled, "JESSICA! SHUT UP!"

I spoke so loudly I startled myself. And then I started thinking about all the good rides, the speed I really can go, the way I feel in a race and how that differs from a random ride around the lake or whatever. I forced myself to stop looking at my speed and my power, and just ride. Check out the lake, the houses, the cars, the whatever. I forced myself to be where I was, right then - not in my head stressing about not finishing.

And my legs, fresh during this taper, took over. When I got close to the decision point - right turn to head west to go back through Bellevue - my bike stayed straight. I skipped the easiest way back. I realized, though, there was another right I could take further up.

My bike chose to stay right instead of turning left to go back through Issaquah. I skipped the second-easiest way back.

At the next intersection, it would have been easier to stay right and take my last chance for an easy return. but instead, my bike went to the left and got into a lane of traffic stopped at a light. It was headed up Lakemont.

I asked myself, "What does doing Lakemont today get me? Does it help me? Does it hurt?"

I decided physically, it does nothing. It's a two-mile climb. It's steep, and you can't spin for a lot of it (it's a grind), but it's do-able.

Mentally, does it count?

My bike wanted me to find out, so I did.

And it was fine. It wasn't easy - it never is - but I imagined how I'd feel if I had six miles of this climb instead of just two. My lower back would hurt. I'd squirm a lot in my seat. But I'd get it done.

And Richter Pass on the IMC course - it's six miles, but it's a spin. I think I've got that.

It got hot going up Lakemont. But when I turned at the top to go down 164th - one of my favorite descents around here - I laughed out loud. It's amazing how a different perspective can color facts. It was probably in the low 70s. Up Lakemont, it was HOT and I was sweaty and the sun was beating down on me. Down 164th, it was cool and breezy and a fabulous day.

What goes up, must come down. For all the uphill on this tough IMC course, there's downhill on which to recover and fly.

I'm going to do it. And I'm going to banish any thought that tells me otherwise. When I'm sick of climbing, I'm going to laugh and remember that the opposite of climbing is flying, and nothing is more fun.

Sunday is going to be amazing.

No comments: