Monday, August 20, 2007

The plan: Nutrition

Okay, so for the rest of this week, I'm going to write down my IMC plans. This is in part because I can answer the questions, "What are you going to eat?" "What are you going to wear?" "What are you going to carry on your bike?" and probably a bunch of others, but I keep forgetting stuff, because I haven't written it down. So today, we're going to talk about food!

Pre-race: Wake up as late as possible. Drink 12 ounces of coffee with Splenda and either whole milk or half-and-half (depending on where I get this coffee). Eat a full bagel with turkey breast and cheese - or try my best to. I know it's hard to eat a lot pre-race. Drink some water, but doesn't have to be a lot. I will have hydrated all week prior!

Pre-swim: 1 chocolate GU and a couple sips of water.

Post-swim: Nothing for a little while - at least until I'm a couple miles out of town and my heart rate is below 150.

Bike: I will carry four bottles on the bike: My aerobottle will contain plain water only. On the downtube, I'll carry a bottle of Gleukos (fruit punch flavor) with two scoops of Carbo-Pro (approx. 360 calories per bottle). Behind my saddle I'll carry two more bottles: one of plain water and another of the Gleukos-Carbo Pro stuff. Just the Gleukos-Carbo Pro is enough to get me through 56 miles pretty happily - however, the bike special needs station, where I can pick up stuff I leave for myself, isn't halfway - it's about two-thirds in. So I'll need to eat some food, too. I'm going to carry a Cherry-Pomegranate Clif Nectar Bar, a Dark Chocolate Walnut Clif Nectar Bar, and a Clif Mojo Bar. I'll also throw a couple of GU packets into the pockets in my shorts in case I need a quick jolt. I plan to eat when I feel like it; the liquid calories are actually enough for me if I don't happen to feel like real food. But I will, I always want at least half a bar at some point.

I'll refill the aerobottle with plain water at water stations; I'm carrying the extra bottle of water in case something happens and I dump my aerobottle (it's happened before - you get a flat or fall or something, that bottle is going down). My goal will be to drink about half of the Gleukos bottle each hour; given my track record, it's unlikely I'll actually do it, but if I'm trying to, I believe I'll get enough calories.

My special needs bag will have a Smuckers "Uncrustable" peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the same three bars I'm carrying on the bike, a couple of GUs, and two more bottles of the Gleukos/Carbo-Pro stuff. If it's not too hot, I'm also going to put a bag of Peanut M&Ms in there. Yum.

Run: I am going to wear my fuel belt. I've gotten the advice to not wear anything around my waist, in case my stomach rebels and I can't stand having anything around me. I tried carrying a hand-held bottle, though, and it hurt my shoulder and back. I've got a belt that's really adjustable, so I can wear it on my waist or hips if my tummy hurts - and I'm also not averse to dumping it if necessary.

In my fuel belt I'll have two bottles with water only. I don't like to drink calories when I run; I will if I feel I have to, but I get so thirsty that I don't like constantly sipping something sugary. So I'll carry with me GU and Jelly Belly Sport Beans (two of each) and plan to eat every three or four miles, depending on my speed. If I'm running 12 minute miles or better, I can go every four miles - but if I'm walking or running slower, I'll need to eat every three.

My run special needs bag will have two more GUs, two more Sport Beans and another peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And also, if I need a change of page, Clif Shot Blocks (Pina Colada or Margarita).

So, overall, here's my shopping list:

Four packets Gleukos (check)
Carbo-Pro (check)
10 GUs (check)
6 Jelly Belly Sport Beans (I have orange and lemon-lime; need to pick up blue and red)
3 Clif Mojo Bars (check)
3 Clif Nectar Bars - Cherry-Pomegranate (must get)
3 Clif Nectar Bars - Dark Chocolate Walnut (must get)
Smuckers Uncrustables (must get)
M&Ms (must get)
Clif Shot Blocks (must get)

So there you have it. Tomorrow, let's talk about Ironman fashion!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, I am so excited for your posts this week! This is exactly the kind of info I love to have!!! And also I love me some lists. :)

wendy said...

oooh, I'm excited too! I can't wait to hear about the fashion. =)

Laura said...

One thing I put in my special needs bag was ibuprofen (or whatever you use to kill pain when you have it). I wanted to have it just in case something happened, or my butt was sore, or I had a weird ache or something. Anything. And WOW was I glad I had it. I kept it until the end of the run and took it to take the edge off a little. Helped bunches.

Erika said...

You are amazing, looking forward to hearing about the prep.

I went back and was reading some of your archived posts and if you haven't read them recently maybe even you might see a shift. I like going back to see what motivated someone to start a blog and to start triathlon. I'm sure you don't have time now as you prep for your Ironman but later you should consider creating a link to your post "What it's like to be fat" I think it's really inspirational. So many women struggle with those thoughts even after loosing alot of weight.

It's so wonderful to see a woman take control of her health and self-esteem. I'm getting there myself and even have started dating again.(I'm a single Mom)But more than being skinny you've become a fit healthy woman that has set a truly amazing goal and you are but mere steps away from reaching it. Good Luck I'll be thinking of you.

RawTriGirl said...

De-lurking to cheer you on! I love reading your blog and seeing your IM plans. I have two kids as well and I'm amazed at how well you are able to get in your workouts! I haven't been as successful but am working on it. Looking forward to this week's planning posts and to cheering you this weekend!