Sunday, August 19, 2007

Danskin volunteer report

Nah, I didn't race today. Man, I wanted to - sort of. I wanted to because I love the Danskin, but sort of because the weather was nasty and they shortened the swim, so my time this year wouldn't have been comparable to the previous years.

Anyway, John, the kids and I worked the mile 1 water station, and it was a blast! (Even in the downpour.) It was also a ton of work! The middle part of the race saw a zillion people coming at once, so we could barely keep up with the demand for water. I'm not sure who exactly watched my kids during the time where I was completely bent over the table laying out cups and pouring water, but they were fine - and good helpers, too.

It really brought home for me the necessity of having great volunteers to work at races I do. I think I'm pretty nice to volunteers, saying "thank you" and calling out in advance what I need - but I'm going to do a better job than ever next week at the Ironman.

And in general, I love the feeling of being at a triathlon and watching people meet goals they never thought they'd even have. I was there, at Danskin, three years ago. I wouldn't have imagined doing an Ironman then. Now I've got barely a week left until I do. Amazing, huh?

I wrote in more detail about the kids and our experience on my Disney blog - check it out if you want to see how adorable my kids are handing out water!

5 comments:

Shannon Cortez said...

Thanks for volunteering! Today was my first tri ever and I was initially inspired by your blog! My time was 1.42.33 - not bad for a first timer and a pregnant one, at that. Good luck at IMC!

Jessica said...

Congratulations, Shannon! We saw four pregnant women: three in a group together, and one alone who pointed at her belly while on the way back (passing the mile 1/almost 3 water station again). Was that you?

wendy said...

That was so awesome of you! I have only volunteered once, at Seattle marathon, and it was the last aid station. let me tell you, it was so amazing watching people so close to finishing, about .2 miles away!

Anyways, that was really great of you, a fine act of service, especially before IMC!

Shannon Cortez said...

Nope, not me!

Tanner said...

Dear Jessica.
What a great story. I read your fit mama entry as well.

I was a triathlon participant and I probably took some water from your table. Thanks!

I am on my own weight loss journey as well. I have a much farther way to go. The Danksin is my beacon - stay on course with diet and exercise! I am commiting myself to an olympic distance for next season.

Good luck on the IMC. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Tanner