Friday, August 24, 2007

So, where's Yellow Lake?

Now that it's race weekend, I was feeling kind of sorry that I hadn't come up here to ride the bike course.

Well, today Danielle and I drove it, and here's how it went: the longer we drove, the more confident we felt. Seriously. The first part really is downhill or flat, the first "climb" isn't much of one, and Richter Pass? Stairsteps of Lakemont, if that.

But we'd heard Yellow Lake was really the tough part. So after Richter, there were a bunch of rollers - each about 1/3 to 1/2 mile up and about the same down. I actually think this part will be fun - like a rollercoaster!

I started asking Danielle where the Yellow Lake climb began. She wasn't sure. We went over another hill, then suddenly we were at a large lake. "What lake is this?" I asked. Danielle said, "Trout Lake. No, wait, Trout Lake is on the other side. It's Yellow Lake."

I said, "It can't be. We didn't climb yet." She said, "We did, up that little hill back there."

I started laughing. "No, Yellow Lake must be further ahead...even though we're starting to go downhill now..."

We got to the north end of the lake and looked back. There was a sign that read, "Yellow Lake."

We laughed our heads off the entire way DOWNHILL back to town.

4 comments:

ItchyBits said...

Hmmmm, something tells me you won't be laughing during the ride --- starting at maybe mile 56? If you are then you need to pick up the pace! Good luck girly! Rooting for ya!

Tommy Williams said...

I told you the hills would not seem too bad after riding around the Puget Sound. Good luck on Sunday.

wendy said...

That's right! We live in hill country. Our hills are their mountains. ;-)

You are READY.

Kate said...

It's great living somewhere hilly- other peoples' hills are never quite the same. I had this exact feeling during the Rotorua marathon- "where are those climbs??"