Monday, August 06, 2007

Just like riding a bicycle

I did say Saturday's ride was a confidence builder...but at the same time, it didn't help me confirm I can go the distance in the allotted time.

Today I decided to go on the Monday ride. Usually I lead it, but for August, I'm not leading rides officially so I can taper and choose not to ride if I don't feel like it.

The leader designed a new route we'd never done before - and it included two fairly short but steep climbs. I started out worrying they'd have to drop me; I felt slow, my bottom hurt from riding Saturday and I seemed to have no power.

But then, once I completed the first climb (Inglewood, the first one I did Saturday), I perked up. I felt better and faster and nothing hurt anymore and for the rest of the ride, I just RODE. And I remembered how it felt to ride without worrying about pace or speed or whatever and just enjoy a decent day (it's gray, of course, but not raining) out on the bike. I felt joyful both uphill and downhill - and remembered what Danielle said this morning when I told her I was worried about the bike cutoff for Ironman: "You're one of the strongest cyclists I know! You're letting stuff just get to your head!"

And she's right. After all, riding a bicycle...is just like riding a bicycle.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to skip the ride today due to meetings and too much work. Glad to know the route was fun. I don't know that much about the plateau so I'm always glad to see good ways to get around over there.

wendy said...

good job getting back out there - you are mentally and physically strong! Leigh corbin finished her first WS100 - she visualized success and her finish, over and over again, so when it happened, it was just like in her mind. Watch some motivational clips, and you can't help but be inspired and know you can do it. I mean, I can watch a minute of the team hoyt video clips and be snot-crying! =)

You're strong, you can do this!

Kate said...

Good- I'm glad you're feeling better, because I was going to have to shake you and remind you how strong you are!

Unknown said...

It's 90+ percent mental. It's winning attitude. You know you've put in the time and the miles. Now you just gotta believe in that time and those miles. They'll see you through.

teacherwoman said...

"I just RODE." ....

I love it. So true. Way to have your mental game on!