Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The plan: Clothing

I'm definitely not planning to improve my standing in this race by saving time in transition.


Usually, even on my half-Ironman races, I transition pretty quickly. But for this race, I know a few things are going to happen:

-- I am going to have to use the potty in transition
-- I am going to be sweaty and salty and gross after the bike
-- The morning and the evening will be cold; the middle of the day will likely be pretty warm

Check this out, though - doesn't this forecast ROCK?




So anyway, to be comfortable and happy, I'm going to change clothing nearly completely between each leg.

Here's what I'm going to wear:

Pre-race:
  • My favorite pink sports bra (I bought this for $5 at Old Navy three years ago. Freaking STEAL! Too bad they don't make the same clothing for more than two weeks.)
  • black swim suit bottom
  • my favorite Lucy sweatpants
  • a warm sweatshirt
  • heartrate monitor strap and watch - with LOTS of BodyGlide
  • gloves - seriously, my hands get really cold.
  • warm socks
  • Crocs (not flip-flops; see "warm socks" above)

Swim:
  • full wetsuit over the bra and swim suit bottom
  • my big goggles (I use open-water mask-style goggles because I find I have better visibility, which helps me panic less)
  • whatever cap they give me (not wearing my nylon cap under, because I'll be too warm, I think)


Bike:
  • black SkirtSports.com BikeGirl skirt
  • pink SkirtSports.com bike jersey
  • pink old Navy sports bra; ditch the swim suit bottom
  • white and pink socks
  • fingerless gloves (yes I want my gloves!)
  • purple and gray bike shoes
  • pink and black bike helmet
  • Rudy Project sunglasses - either clear or gray lenses, depending on how sunny it is. Likely start out with clear and carry the gray.
  • if it's below 55 degrees (I'll guess based on the day before): black Terry bolero


Run:
  • black tri top from SkirtSports.com
  • pink camo GymGirl from SkirtSports.com (sensing a theme? They don't sponsor me, I just love their stuff)
  • beige underwear (sorry for the TMI, but this is my checklist!)
  • new socks! Cute ones with pink hearts that I've worn in tons of races
  • pink visor OR pink baseball cap - baseball cap if I'm hot. I know that seems counterintuitive, but if I'm hot, I'll put water or ice inside my cap to cool my head. Otherwise the visor will be enough.
  • keep the Rudy Project glasses if it's sunny
  • my older Asics Gel-Kayanos*

* Okay, I'm not wearing the running shoes I planned to wear for the race. I am currently running in a pair of Asics Gel-Kinseis, but I've had random problems with them - sometimes they cut into my heels, sometimes I feel weird pain in my feet, so I've looked over my Gel-Kayanos and decided they have a full marathon left in them. Plus they match better with the rest of my running stuff! They're pink; the Kinseis are teal.


Run special needs bag:
  • another black Terry bolero (because I'm thinking I won't want the bike bolero at the beginning of the run, but halfway through it will be dark and will be getting cold)
  • running gloves



I'll have John carry a sweatshirt for me to put on at the finish line in case I'm cold.



I think that's it. Tomorrow: All the stuff that isn't clothing or food that I need to put in my transition area and special needs bags.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Hm- I think we should have a word to skirtsports.com about some sponsorship for you!

wendy said...

You're ready, GF!!!

I cracked up over the hat explanation, I have to admit, I was like, uh, what? Thanks for clarifying.

I hope you're so excited! You're going to ROCK it.

ItchyBits said...

I can't seem to get past the Terry bolero ?? Sounds interesting though.

ItchyBits said...

Got your comment on the Bolero. Coincidentally the fall Terry catalog arrived in the mail today so I found it. Very weird item. I've never seen anything like that before for cycling. I don't own arm warmers so I am trying to think if I would actually use one of these and whether I would like it. Pretty inexpensive so maybe I will try. Thanks for posting the info on my blog.