Friday, February 24, 2006

Freaky Friday

This morning I woke up to a husband with extremely low blood sugar: he was not conscious (couldn't wake him). My son had popped into bed with us, so I made him go get John's blood test kit and a soda while I moved furniture in case John had a seizure. (Gabriel is such a good boy in a time of crisis...I can't believe how calm he is, and how helpful!)

John's blood sugar was 35 and I couldn't get him to respond, and by now he was twitching and had opened his eyes, but he was just staring. I got the glucagon shot ready and injected it in his arm - it's a fairly large needle and as I'm not trained at all in giving injections, I'm sure it hurt. He didn't move. Sweat continued to pour down his face.

I waited about five minutes - he still wasn't responsive. So as soon as I called 911, he sat up in bed and started talking (the glucagon had kicked in). I told 911 to cancel the aid car and got John something to eat.

So all that is a very long way to say I was late to the gym - I had to cut my swim short. Then, on the way, the roads were INSANE. Completely iced over, even on the highway. So that was interesting.

Oh, but I figured out how to put playlists in my mp3 player! Until now I was listening to the songs in alphabetical order by title - kind of dumb. I made a 33 minute running mix and it was really effective: today I did the first 16 minutes with two minutes at marathon goal pace, 30 seconds hard (not quite a sprint). Then I moved up every 3 minutes: from 6.6 to 6.8 to 7.0 to 7.3 - then the last three minutes I did 7.5, 7.7, 8.0. Fun fun fun.

So, here are today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: Banana and 1/2 cup coffee with cream (couldn't drink my coffee with the icy roads - needed two hands on the wheel!) - 95 calories
Breakfast: English muffin with ham and cheese, 1 cup fruit, coffee with cream: 380 calories
Lunch: Chicken breast, broccoli, Hershey's Nugget: 300 cals
Snack: Coffee with cream, chocolate-covered graham cracker: 170 cals
Total so far: 945 cals
Dinner: Peanuts (snack...) 300 cals, roast pork tenderloin, 200 cals, bread with olive oil, 250 cals, green beans, 40 cals - 790 cals
Total: 1735 calories

Exercise:
Swim 15 minutes
Indoor cycling 60 minutes
Run 30 minutes
Calories burned: 950

No comments: