Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Swimming and circuit training

Today I swam an entire hour - which is really much more mental than physical. I did 6 10-minute intervals, like this:

1 - Just swim - 9 laps
2 - Kickboard only, plus two laps of swim to "clear" myself - total 7 laps
3 - Paddles with regular kick, plus two laps of swim - total 9 laps
4 - Pull buoy only, plus two laps of swim - total 8 laps
5 - Fins with kickboard - total 8 laps
6 - Just swim - 9 laps

Total time: 60 minutes. Total distance: 1.5 miles (approx)

I swam in the morning, and returned to the club to take a circuit training class at noon with my old trainer, Billy. That took the place of a weights workout. It was really fun. Also, a cool thing happened in class: some woman was staring at me, and eventually asked my name. I told her, and she asked if I did 20/20. I said yes, and she asked me whether I'd spoken at one of those brown-bags informational meetings they have last January. I don't remember whether it was January or what, but I did, so I said yes - and she said I inspired her to start the program! She remembered that I had done it with kids and a full-time job. So I felt really good that I actually did inspire someone.

So here are today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: Coffee with cream and a biscotti (poor planning), 170 cals
Breakfast: Ham and cheese, 1 cup fruit, coffee with cream, 255 cals
Snack: Yogurt, 110 cals
Lunch: Citrus salmon salad, 290 cals
Total so far: 825 cals

Exercise:
Swim 60 minutes, 400 calories
Circuit training, 350 calories
Total: 750 calories burned

No comments: