Monday, February 13, 2006

Yesterday...not good. Today, new start! (Maybe)

I don't even want to admit to what I ate yesterday. Oh well. But here it is:

Food:
Breakfast: Sourdough Breakfast Jack from Jack in the Box: 420 cals, coffee with cream, 30 cals, some of Camille's french toast sticks, 150 cals: 600 calories
Snack: Grapes, 60 cals, granola from Costco, yum yum yum, 600 cals: 660 total
Lunch: Chicken breast: 200 cals
Dinner: Dinner at book club - chinese food. Potstickers, fried shrimp things, salad, mango mousse cake: no idea on the calories. But the fact is, the granola really did me in.
Total calories consumed: Somewhere around a million. Okay, not a million, but way too many.

Exercise:
Bike 70 minutes, 500 calories
-----
Monday

Okay, so today I'm going to try to do better. But already I can tell I ate too much for breakfast. I just love granola so much!!!

Today I don't think I'm going to work out. I'm tired and I want to rest. However, that means I need to get my swim in later on in the week - I originally had planned to swim for one hour, so now I'll have to swim probably two more days for half an hour each time.

But that's okay. Rest is important. Plus, I have to clean my house and play with my kids. :-)

So I thought of a new strategy to handle my granola desire. This afternoon, I had pretty much decided to throw it all away. But when I got home, I had an epiphany: I portioned it all out into ziploc baggies, half-cup servings - which is probably 300 calories (it doesn't have nutrition info, so I have to estimate). Now, I won't touch the baggies, because if I eat a little, it will mess up my calories for when I eat the rest of the baggie, and I won't eat a whole baggie because that's not grazing. It's deliberate, and I want to graze so I can pretend I didn't really eat whatever I ate.

I was thinking that I should just stop buying grazing foods - peanuts, raisins, dried cranberries, etc. And if I have to graze, graze on baby carrots or grapes. Unfortunately, these are better as theories than reality.

So, here's what I ate today. Note the dried cranberries. That was a total graze. The bag has been open and around for weeks, I threw the rest away today. I wonder how much food I've thrown away to avoid eating it in the past two years?

Breakfast: Ham and cheese, yogurt, granola, coffee with cream: 545 calories and I AM FULL!
Lunch: 4 oz tuna with 1/2 tbsp mayo, salad: 300 calories
Snack: 1/2 cup grapes, 60 cals
Total so far: 905 calories
Dinner: Chicken marsala (20/20 approved), carrots, cheese and whole-wheat crackers: 500 calories
After-dinner: dried cherries, 120 calories
Total: 1525 calories

No extra calories burned, since no extra exercise (although I did walk about a mile briskly in bad shoes and definitely had an elevated heart rate). But tomorrow will be a big day for exercise - and I bet it will be a good one if I get to bed on time tonight.

No comments: