Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Going long

In elapsed time, today's workout was actually shorter than yesterday's - but in feel, it was longer. 3o minutes of running (3.25 miles), then an hour of indoor cycling, then I ran back to the treadmill for another 30 minutes of running. So I was solidly in my aerobic zone for 120 minutes. And I feel good!

I tried an experiment with a Luna bar: instead of my banana in the morning, I had half a Luna bar, then ate the other half in the first few minutes of cycling. It was okay - my stomach sort of felt yucky during my first run, but not enough to slow me down. I think given a little more time between eating and running, a Luna bar would be acceptable fuel.

I'm definitely feeling muscle tiredness. It's weird - in cycling, my heart rate can be completely reasonable (in the mid-140s) but my legs ache. I guess I need to build muscle endurance in cycling, versus just plain heart rate endurance?

Anyway, here are today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: 1/2 Luna bar, coffee with cream: 120 cals
During workout: 1/2 Luna bar: 90 cals
Breakfast: Bagel with low-fat cream cheese and ham, coffee with cream: 470 cals
Total so far: 680 calories
Lunch: Sandwich (only one piece of bread), turkey, cheese: 350 cals
Snack: Diced peaches, low-fat cheese, small banana and a little bit of peanut butter: 215 cals
Total so far: 1245
Dinner: Chicken breast, broccoli, nuts: 400 cals
Bad bad bad: Cookies and cream in my decaf coffee: 400 cals
Total today: 2045 calories, darn. It could have been a good day if cookies hadn't found their way into my life.

Exercise:
Run 30 minutes, 3.25 miles
Indoor cycling, 60 minutes
Run 30 minutes, 3.25 miles
Total calories burned: 1100

No comments: