Tuesday, February 07, 2006

It's hard to keep a low heart rate!

My goal for this morning's run was to keep my heart rate below 140 to remain in zone 2, most of the time. There were a couple of hills on which I allowed myself to enter zone 3 and go up to 160. I was okay for a while, but towards the very end of the run, I found it much harder to keep my heart rate low - and hard to want to. I understand the principle - that keeping it low will help make the chemical processes happening in my body to be more efficient and allow me to go longer - but for someone whose goal has been "go faster and harder to burn more calories quickly" it's a little hard to stomach. But I did it, and Nancy, my running partner, said she felt great, and I did too, so it will probably be quite beneficial.

Data for the day:

Food:
Pre-workout: Banana and coffee with cream: 110 cals
Breakfast: English muffin with ham and cheese, 1 cup fruit, coffee with cream: 375 cals
Lunch: Yogurt with strawberries and granola; lentil soup: 500 cals
Snack: Apple, string cheese, nuts, Hershey's Nugget: 325 cals (yeah, hungry)
Dinner: Leftover chicken parmagiana (too much, too late), dark chocolate: 640 cals
Total so far: 1950 cals


Exercise:
Run 70 minutes - zones 2-3 (mostly 2)
Lift weights 45 min - upper and lower body, abs
Total calories burned: 800

Beginning of day weight: 142.4 (weird that it's so high. must be about to get my period or something)
End of day weight: 142.4 (double weird. I've never before been the same as the beginning of the day. this morning must have been off)

No comments: