Thursday, March 02, 2006

I get to do more!

Danielle ran my training plan by another trainer at the Pro Club, one who is triathlon-certified. He said that despite Joe Friel's book that I used to develop my plan, which says I can train a minimum of 500 hours a year and do a half-iron, I should be doing more. And this is a good thing, because now that I've been through a 14.5 hour week last week (I know, scheduled for 13.5, but I went over), I know I can do it.

So he said I should have 10 hours a week on my recovery weeks; I'm going to work from there to determine what the rest of the weeks should be and re-build my plan. I'm excited!

Today I had a stomachache this morning, so I walked for 20 minutes before running for 40 - in zone 2 again, HR around 135 (lower than yesterday). Then I did 75 minutes of yoga - no calorie burn but lots of stretching. I feel really good now, too.

Oh, and I'm wearing the smallest pair of pants I own. They're the same size (6) as every other pair I have, but I always feel fat in them, and today I feel okay. I haven't weighed myself all week - going a little less obsessive for a while. I'm sure I'll shift back though, I always do.

So, here are today's data:

Food:
Pre-workout: Banana. No coffee really - it was too hot to drink the whole way to the club! - 90 cals
Breakfast: Banana bread (my weekly treat, but it wasn't that good today), ham and cheese, coffee with cream: 535 cals
Lunch: 8 oz chili, 250 cals; chicken breast, 200 cals; cucumber slices, 25 cals - total 475 cals
Total so far today: 1010 calories
Snack: 1/2 Luna bar, 90 cals
Dinner: Shrimp and green beans, 400 cals
Dessert: Banana bread (homemade!) 400 cals
total: 1900 calories

Exercise:
Walk 20 minutes, run 40: 325 calories burned
Yoga, 75 minutes: No additional calories (per the monitor at least), but good for me :-)
Circuit training (weight lifting and, for me, light cardio): 300 calories

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica

Let me know how the additional training hours works out. I just started a one year plan based on the SERIOUS Training for endurance athletes book, and have based my year on 500 Hours.

Already one of my high volume weeks was pushing a little to high, so Im real interested to see how you handle adding even more hours!

My 500 hrs was based on a 15% increase over a rough estimate of last years hours.

Jessica said...

I'll let you know, Steve. Someone sent me a spreadsheet template based on the SERIOUS training, and that's what I modified to make my own, but mine is mostly based on Friel (and a little bit of doing what I want, too).