Thursday, February 08, 2007

A decent run

YAY!!!

So I was running SO slow to stay in my base training zone, then I had that six week running hiatus and I came back to yucky running. I haven't paid close attention to my HR while running these last three times, but I do know I'm not out of my zones except on hills - and even then, not by much.

It was a horrible shock to learn that Tuesday's 50-minute run was only 3.75 miles. The 50 minutes included stops at lights, but still....that's SLOW.

So today, Nancy and I ran for 52 minutes - 57 elapsed, but I counted how much time we spent at lights so I could subtract it. I was hoping our run was 5 miles long, but I wasn't sure.

Well, she measured it today, and it was 5 miles. And since my average HR was in the low 150s for the run, overall I remained in base training zone!

So I'm a happy girl. I really have no need to be working on speed - I plan to do the Ironman marathon in 5 hours or so - but I hate the idea of losing speed. Plus, since after IMC I'm going to want to start working on getting fast to qualify for the Boston Marathon (meaning I have to pull a 3:40 - 37 minutes faster than my marathon PR), it would be good not to take any steps backwards.

By the way, if you want some inspiration about getting fast - or at least some motivation to start believing you can - go check out Steven's blog and look for his previous posts on running. Steven, you've definitely inspired me!

4 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Slow can be good. Epecially on those long(er) runs!

Kate said...

Congratulations on the run and on the weight loss!

Aleks said...

I'll be there to support in the Boston training... I can pull 3 miles in the 8 min/mile zone... maybe. ;-)

Steven said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Jessica! I'm glad to see your running is going well.

Pac Crest and IMC are just around the corner!