Saturday, February 10, 2007

Saturday skiing

The hubby, older kid and I spent the day skiing, as we try to most Saturdays in the winter. Unfortunately, we haven't had new snow in a couple of weeks. For the first time in my eight years as a snowboarder/skier, I understood what "mashed potato" snow meant.

It really was like skiing through mashed potatoes! My skis seemed to stick to the ground, and it was chunky, not smooth.

In the morning, I had trouble staying warm - and I'm not sure why, as it was about 30 degrees and that should be a fairly warm temperature for snow sports. But my annoying cold has blossomed into a sinus infection, so maybe that contributed.

But in the afternoon, John and I discovered a new area we'd never skied or boarded in before. It was much less crowded and had some nice steep runs. So we hung out there for a while, then when we got the boy from his snowboard lesson, we made him put his skis on so he could come with us away from the bunny hill. The sun had come out, some friends from work called me to say they were around and I should meet them, and it all just became fun again. (Oh, and can I just say again how cool it is that my kid - at six years old! - can go anywhere I can go on the mountain, and how we barely have to wait for him because he's such a strong skier? Every time we ski together I love him a little bit more.)

I'm finding that to ski well, I need to eat a little more than a normal day of exercise. By lunchtime, after my normal breakfast, I was starving. And when we got home, I pretty much couldn't eat enough to feel satisfied. Hence the Skinny Cow 140-calorie ice cream sandwich I meal-tracked today. But I'm still at a reasonable calorie deficit for the day.

Little trick to prevent me from eating at night: I'm doing those Crest Whitestrip thingys. I don't know if they really work, but they really work to prevent me from making any surreptitious trips to the kitchen after dinner. Plus I think my teeth are whiter, which is actually more important to me than them being any whiter. If I perceive that they're better, that's enough.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Good idea- brushing my teeth has never worked for me (I just eat anyway and it tastes bad) but strips could do the trick. We don't get ice cream sandwiches here, but I've had them and I'm jealous!

Alison said...

Hey there...that's why I love reading your blog, because I can completely relate to everything you say. :) My email is ivotedtoday@yahoo.com if you ever want to b*tch!