Friday, February 16, 2007

And this is what I get for too much, too soon...

Today I had just an hour and a half of spinning planned (just. ha ha). And I did it, and I even remained in a low base-training heart rate zone almost the entire time.

But the reason I was able to keep it down? My RPE (rate of perceived exertion) dramatically exceeded my heart rate. Meaning, I felt like I was working really hard, even though my heart rate told me I wasn't.

I attribute this to having a big week without building up to it and just being sore and tired. I didn't have trouble getting out of bed, but I no longer can use that as a gauge - I enjoy seeing my friends too much, so my brain says "Get up! Your commute gets exponentially suckier every minute you sleep beyond 4:40 a.m. and your friends are waiting for you anyway!"

Now, that said, at one point my heart rate got into the 160s, and at for those couple of minutes, I actually felt good! (I dropped back on purpose to behave myself and stay in the right zone.) So I felt yucky in the 130s and 140s, but good in the 160s. Maybe there's some adrenaline that kicks in there - a cyclist's high or something?

Oh, and my weight is up. For the second day in a row. I blame TOM. At least I'm not pregnant.

1 comment:

Kate said...

TOM could absolutely explain the RPE/HR thing, especially when you're working hard and getting up early.

I get that sometimes at cycling too- at other times my HR jumps right up the minute I touch my resistance dial even though I feel amazing.