Monday, February 26, 2007

Cool swim, hot yoga

I had a really nice morning.

Since I went to bed at 9:30 last night, I had no trouble whatsoever getting out of bed at 4:30 a.m., despite the big days I had yesterday and Saturday. I was outside the door to the Pro Club before it opened, and in the pool at 5:05 a.m.

I did 2000 meters with my new Finis Z2 fins on. They're supposed to help me kick better. I was hoping they'd make me kick at all instead of drag my dead legs behind me. Also, I'm kind of grossed out by the fins that the Pro Club has for everyone - they have black yucky stuff on them, and since I'm prone to athlete's foot anyway, I figured it's best for me and everyone else if I have my own fins.

I liked them a lot. I didn't notice the massive speed gain I usually see from the other fins I've used, which is good - because the big speed gain throws my natural, comfortable arm stroke off. Instead, my legs floated a little higher than usual, and just having the fins on made me conscious of my kick and kick form. I definitely noticed a loss of power when I took the fins off for an additional 200 meters at the end of my swim.

But despite liking the fins, the best swim invention ever is still the SwiMP3 player. Oh my goodness. I LOVE the thing so much. Every time I swim I feel happier about it.

Then I went to Hot Yoga. I was so tight from the weekend of boarding and biking, but by the end I was pouring sweat and completely folded over in ways I didn't think my body could do. SO GOOD - plus good for clearing my head and stuff, too.

John reminded me today that I'm not yet training, so maybe I should back off on the daily running thing until March 12, when I officially start training. I know he's right - plus I've worked out every day since Feb. 5 - yes, really. So I'm not planning to take a day off until Sunday, but I am going to back it down a bit. That's absurd (especially since Feb. 3 and 4 I was really sick and probably would have worked out if I could have gotten out of bed).

1 comment:

Steven said...

I agree that you should probably back-off a bit before the REAL training begins. Give yourself some rest...you'll need it.