Sunday, February 11, 2007

A new diet plan I really really really think will work

No, really! I believe this one!

Okay, so to preface: I have never been one for fad diets. I've never tried them and never wanted to. That's probably why I stayed fat for so long - I didn't have the knowledge to diet appropriately and I inherently knew that fad diets were wrong.

In addition, that's almost certainly one of the reasons the 20/20 Lifestyles diet did work for me: it's so reasonable. Eat lean protein, fruit, veggies, low-fat dairy, and whole grains. Limit sugars and fats.

But now - at 139.2 this morning - I've got a job to do if I'm really going to get down to 130. And here's the problem: I know how to diet. But I can't stand going hungry. And on days like yesterday - where I burned almost 1500 calories skiing - I can't be full on 1200-1400 calories like I can on normal exercise days.

So, here's the plan: I've been using FitDay. I don't know if anyone ever clicks the link on the left here, but every day I put in my food and exercise (the actual exercise I did may vary from what I say I did - I make the calories come out right and sometimes that means changing the times somewhat). I've noticed that when I have a deficit - according to FitDay - of 1200 calories, I don't feel hungry, but I do feel good about myself that I dieted properly.

So my goal is going to be to create a 1200 calorie deficit (almost) daily according to FitDay. I add the "almost" in there because on rest days, with no formal exercise, I can't create that large of a deficit. But if I can do it six days a week, I'll lose more than a pound a week.*

This means some days, I'll eat possibly up to 2000 calories. And others, I'll need to be right at 1200. This makes sense to me, and will hopefully help me deal with the inevitable hunger I feel when I get into endurance exercise.

So today I rode my bike for 1:45. It rocked. It was supposed to rain, but instead the sun came out and I had a lovely ride...with a massive headwind for the entire second half, but hey. Headwinds will only make me stronger!

* A 3500 calorie deficit is one pound of fat lost, therefore the math doesn't add up. This is because I don't fully buy FitDay's calculations of my metabolic rate plus lifestyle calorie burn. I think a 1200 calorie deficit on FitDay is really a 700 calorie deficit, which would lead to slightly more than a pound a week lost.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, that diet sounds familiar! :)
Tom and I rode our bikes today too - I should've called you so we could've gone together. I'm gonna send out an email and try to organize something for Feb 24. I've got 3 hours on tap. Maybe you can come? I'll email soon...

Jessica said...

Oh yeah I suck! I totally got the idea from you and should have given you credit.

Aren't you up for Chilly Hilly on the 25th? I won't be able to do the 24th because Gabriel has a snowboard lesson. But I'd love to meet up for Chilly Hilly!

Kate said...

That sounds smart- I know that a 1200 fitday deficit works for me too- I should remember that! Sometimes I lose a little too fast when I stick to that, but i think that may be because I am a little younger and haven't had kids.

Unknown said...

Oh no, I didn't mean to demand credit... I was just being silly. :)

Yes, I'm doing Chilly Hilly! I'm doing it with Jill's team so it might be hard for me to escape and meet you somewhere... maybe you want to ride with team too?