Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sneaking into real training

Why am I so bad at keeping the volume and intensity down?

Do I just have too much time on my hands? No, I seriously doubt it.

Do I just love it too much, and I just don't believe overuse injuries happen? Maybe.

One of my co-workers - another triathlete - accused me a couple of weeks ago of choosing quantity over quality. Do I?

So here's today. The girls and I were meeting at 6:15, and I knew it was going to be rainy and warmish anyway, so I figured that gave me at least 45 minutes for a swim prior to the run.

In the pool, I decided it was time I start working on getting faster, so I did three sprint sets mixed in to my other drills and stuff. Oh my goodness. I've never seen such a high heart rate in the pool - I think I hit 174 at one point! I have absolutely no endurance when I'm going fast, though - I can barely do 50 yards at my top speed before I want to die. I'm working up to doing 100 yards at that speed - 25 seconds per 25 yards - then I'll be at 1:40 for the 100 and I'll consider myself ready for masters. Any slower than that and I just don't think I can bring myself to do it.

(Thank you all - public posters and private emailers - who let me know what you think I should do to improve my swimming. I'm going to do four things: 1) Take a couple of private lessons with Eric at the Pro Club. 2) Practice my own swimming in the pool - including doing sprints. 3) Do the triathlon swim workouts in March at the Pro Club. And...4) When I'm comfortable that I'm not going to make a huge fool of myself, join Masters at Samena in Bellevue. I know that's last, but I just can't do it yet. Really. I know I should, but I dread it...and I know I could enjoy it if I get a little better on my own first.)

So anyway, I did the swim workout, then I ran comfortably for an hour, then lifted weights. Maybe it's too much. But it all fit before I had to go to work, and I don't feel super-hungry so far today.

I still have three and a half weeks before the six month countdown to Ironman Canada. But I'm ready to start full-on training now.

I remember peaking too early last year and prolonging the season, so I'm trying to be patient. But patience is not one of my gifts. :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Out of curiosity, is Danielle writing a program for you or are you doing your own thing? (Now, and when you start official training for IMCA)

Jessica said...

I wrote my own plan, based on last year's experience and loosely on Friel's Triathlete Training Bible plan. But the plan doesn't start until March 12 - it runs for six months - so right now I'm supposed to be just doing my own fun exercise and keeping it low-key, but I have trouble with that!

Kate said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am actually ok at cutting back on volume, but I find it so hard not to do hard workouts every so often!

I also definitely know what you mean about Masters- I don't blame you for wanting to wait. I waited until I felt comfortable before I went along, and then was pleasantly surprised not to be the slowest instead of going too soon and being disappointed!

Laura said...

Hey Jess - Long time reader 2nd time poster. :) Don't sweat the swim speed for now. The thing my coach told me over and over again for IM CDA was that you don't win the Ironman in the swim. Of course I wasn't trying to win, but you see the point. You will be so overwhelmed in the first half of the swim anyway (I swam in hs and college and was overwhelmed so I think ANYONE would be) that speed will be the last thing on your mind. Think long, slow, and lean when you train in the water. It's about putting in the time and getting stronger, not necessarily faster. If you want to train for speed, focus it on the run. That's where you will make up the most time from any glitches along the way. Also, be VERY diligent with your training and stick to it. Don't sneak in extra training because you think it will help. This is a whole new area you've entered and you have to be patient and careful and be good to your body. Listen to it and stick to your plan. You will be so glad you did when IM day arrives and you are strong and rested and ready to go.

Always always err on the side of caution. Being slightly undertrained is a million times better than being even 1% overtrained!

You will get the most enjoyment out of this if you are good to yourself the whole way through! Too cool that you are doing IM!

-LauraT