Wednesday, February 14, 2007

How do you spell perseverance?

R. E. G. A. N.

Seriously, so Regan loves to ride outside and has less love for spin class. So I suggested we go on the Cascade Bicycle Club ride that leaves from across the street from my office on Wednesdays at 11:45. She met me here, and we went over.

The ride is rated "brisk" to "strenuous" pace - and hills are inevitable. Also, usually the rides are about 12 to 14 miles long - a good hour - but today, we actually did just over 20. The ride included three big climbs plus a whole bunch of rollers, and I had to work to stay with the group leader, so I could only imagine what Regan was feeling. At one point, she said, "Well, I think I know what my strength ride is this week!"

But to watch her spin up the hills, catch up to the group and smile was a treat. Better than any Valentine's Day candy anyone can offer me today. I'm so proud of her!

Oh, and while the ride started in dry weather, it ended in downpour. So not only did we ride hard, ride hills, and ride with the boys - we rode wet and muddy, too. With huge grins - hills AND rain only make us stronger!

I rode my road bike, because I didn't want to ride in a group on the tri bike. And WHOA. I didn't realize how weird it would feel to ride that bike after doing only spin classes - where my spin bike is set up like my tri bike - or riding the tri bike. Suddenly my road bike felt too big, my arms felt too stretched out, and it took five miles or so for me to feel comfortable. But I think I'm going to get a shorter stem and move the brake hoods up higher - that should help. And I also noticed that I ran out of gears on the high end. The bike has a compact double on it, and I can't help but wonder if I haven't gotten strong enough that I need to make either some cassette or crankset changes so I can go faster. It's got a 50/34 crankset with a 12-25 cassette; anyone have opinions on what I might change so I don't run out of gears and need to coast?

2 comments:

Regan said...

G'dang that was a hard ride! But what fun! Went through neighborhoods I didn't even know existed! And everyone was so nice. I look forward to conquering those hills!!

Nothing better than getting out on Joyous and enjoying a ride with a good friend. :)

Hugs,

Regan

:) said...

Nice ride.

You could get an 11-23 cassette on the back without changing anything else and it will give you another gear for speed.

But anything more would require you to go to a regular double (53/39) and maybe change out your front deraileur too.

If you are thinking about this let me know and I will find you a good deal online... :)