Monday, February 19, 2007

Ending the binge, indoor triathlons, running, and stolen property

I couldn't post or do FitDay yesterday. It started out okay, but I was hosting a Daytona 500 party at my house (or as I kept calling it, The Piston Cup, because everything I know about racing I learned from the movie "Cars" that my daughter watches at least twice a day). I planned for the bad food I knew would be around by buying veggies and fruit, but I succumbed to the delicious tacos, chili, and pie that swarmed my kitchen island. For the most part, I managed to avoid tortilla chips and stuff like that.

But I've forgiven myself and moved on, even though I refused to step on the scale this morning. I'm going to give myself a couple of days to detox after my three days of putting back on all the weight I have lost the last three weeks. (Okay, that's an exaggeration...but it does take at least three times as long to drop the weight as it does to add it.)

So this morning I got up early and did a pseudo triathlon: I swam 30 minutes first, then did indoor cycling for an hour, then ran two miles. I kept my HR reasonably low throughout. Only the swim and cycling were planned, but I decided to run too because I've been thinking about something Gordo Byrn said when he came to Microsoft to talk to the triathletes.

He told us we needed to run a lot. He said it didn't matter if we ran fast or slow or long or short, but frequently - and on a full stomach, an empty stomach, at different times of the day, etc. So I'm still going to keep my Tuesday and Thursday runs as they are - although my Thursday runs will be getting longer soon - but I want to start running at least a mile every day (two if I have time). So I hopped on the treadmill after the main part of my workout and just ran at 6 mph. I was extremely happy to see my heart rate hovering around 150; I was very comfortable, and I figure my heart rate would be slightly elevated from normal since I'd just been exercising for almost two hours before. Maybe if I'd run first, my heart rate would have been around 140, which would totally rock.

On another note, I'm disturbed today. Last week, I went to get in my car at 4:40 a.m. and discovered the garage door had been left open all night. My quick inventory of our bicycles, (although of course the new tri bike is in my bedroom where it belongs), skis, snowboards, and cars told me everything was present and accounted for. But then last night I went to look for the bag we use for all our other winter sports gear - helmets, gloves, goggles, locks, etc - and that bag is GONE. We looked EVERYWHERE, and it's just not present. Then John realized his two snowboard jackets - a shell and a really nice Helly Hanson warm coat - were also gone.

So I guess we're really lucky. As far as what I can remember, we're missing the following:

My helmet
My helmet goggles
My non-helmet goggles (they don't fit with my helmet, but they're cute!)
My favorite pink hat
John's helmet
Three pairs of John's goggles
One of my mittens
My gloves
Gabriel's gloves
Gabriel's mittens
John's mittens
A couple of locks
John's shell
John's Helly Hanson jacket
The big black bag all that stuff was in

I think our deductible on our homeowner's insurance is $500, and although replacing this stuff adds up to more than $500, it's not much more (assuming we can find some good end-of-the-season deals). And we won't have spare goggles and gloves anymore, either. But when I think what they could have taken - or done to a sleeping family - I'm very thankful for the reminder that we need to check the garage door before we go to bed at night.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Yikes! You guys are pretty lucky. I always keep my road bike in the basement, unless I'm just stashing it away for a few hours (then I put it in the garage).

I have no self-control at parties, seriously. I can't handle the all-you-can-eat thing. You're not the only one. :)

Wes said...

Grrrrr. That just sucks. Around here its car doors. Leave your car open and something is sure to happen to it.

Kate said...

Crikey! So lucky you didn't lose more, but that is awful!

The only way I can NOT binge at parties is if I don't EAT. Which would be quite bad if I only did it at parties, but it's becoming a reguar occurrence.

Steven said...

Bummer on the theft. That must suck.

Always double check garage doors. I know I do since my bikes are out there. My wife let me keep my tri-bike in the house for only so long after I got it!

But I agree with you that is where they SHOULD be!